Chevy Nova Forum banner

Engine ID

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JPC 
#1 ·
Just purchased this 66 SS. Said to have 283. Right front block stamp number I cannot find listed in any id sites.

#8 · (Edited)
That is an odd one indeed. My guess would be GM sourced replacement short or long-block and that is the assembly number preceded by the year of assembly. Complete speculation though.

The number "6496295" is a valid Chevy parts number sequence, and "649" is a good prefix, but not for motors. I checked a mid-60s master catalog and nothing in regards to an engine block starts with "649". Everything starts with a "3", which is pretty normal for this period.

Does the motor have a recessed oil filter? What is the casting number?

--EDIT--
The part number sequence 649629X are mid-70s lamp or instrument cluster related lens pieces. I cannot find the exact number 6496295 in my references, but numerous valid numbers in the sequence 6496290 - 6496299. GM usually didn't jump around with numbers where an engine block would be in a sequence of lens related parts (never say never though :) )

#13 ·
An original 1966 283 would have a194 cast in the side of the block also last 3 numbers of casting number at rear of block drivers side unless its a replacement block
The number on the front of the block almost look like a camshaft number

#14 ·
The other option is the block has been rebuilt and the block milled and the numbers could be a year “77” meaning 1977 and the 6496295 is an invoice number or some way of referencing the block to the work that was done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.