Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 350 engine in my 64 nova and the engine has a really rough idle, and bad stumble when I give it gas and it clears out around 2500rpm and pulls through fine. it seems like its bad in the mornings gets a little better than when it gets hot it gets bad again. Here's what i know
350 engine
trw forged flat top pistons
882 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
performer intake
650 double pumper
cam is a 234/244 @.050
th-350 transmission
torque converter is unkown
3.08 gears
150 psi on all 8 cylinders
new spark plug wires
new hei distributor
3 different carburetors
checked all the valve adjustments
new intake gaskets
what am i missing here!?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked for all possible vaccum leaks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
replaced the plugs their brand new. Timing is like probably 25 inital and 40 something total any less and it wont come off an idle with out stalling. The car also had a gear drive and i took it off and put a chain on thinking the cam timing was off. The cam timing was one tooth off it helped but didn't make a big difference.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any other thoughts before i shove a higher stall converter in it today?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Sounds like you either have a vacuum leak or other carb issues.:yes:

While it's idling, try slowly putting your hands over the carb and "Choking" it. If it idles up AT ALL, you've got a vacuum leak.

Just because you can't find it doesn't mean you don't have a problem. It's also common to leak on the bottoms of the intake ports in the lifter valley.:yes:

If that does indeed "Choke it" and not make the idle raise then you most likely need to get a kit for your carb.:yes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 different carbs all shut the engine off when you put your hand over it and i even just replaced the intake gaskets and carb base gasket. No change at all

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Do you have the vacuum advance hooked up?

Are you setting the timing with it unhooked?

That's a LOT of timing. How are you checking it?

Do you have the proper "Reach" plugs for your heads?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
less timing and the engines going to stall when i take off. connect/ disconnect vacuum doesnt affect it no matter what i do with the timing it still runs like crap. different distributor same thing. plugs are r44t and a 882 head just a peanut plug should be fine. I'm putting a torque converter in it. All signs point to it no matter what i do to the engine it doesn't do anything to the problem. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have a 350 engine in my 64 nova and the engine has a really rough idle, and bad stumble when I give it gas and it clears out around 2500rpm and pulls through fine. it seems like its bad in the mornings gets a little better than when it gets hot it gets bad again. Here's what i know
350 engine
trw forged flat top pistons
882 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
performer intake
650 double pumper
cam is a 234/244 @.050
th-350 transmission
torque converter is unkown
3.08 gears
150 psi on all 8 cylinders
new spark plug wires
new hei distributor
3 different carburetors
checked all the valve adjustments
new intake gaskets
what am i missing here!?
Where you at in SOCAL there are a bunch of us out here that might be able to help you locally.

A large contingent of us out here in the IE.

James

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
is your balancer good? the outer ring hasn't slipped and giving your false timing readings? where do you have the valves adjusted? where are your idle mixture screws set at? what is your idle speed?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IT WAS THE CONVERTER! drives like a dream now. I curved the distributor to where it should be 15 initial with 36 ish total. Also reset the a/f. runs like a freakin champ. shoved a 2200 stall i had laying around in it. I think it had a stock converter in it which was locking up too soon and bogging the motor down with the decent size cam it has. More timing was putting a band aid on it probably making the converter stall a little more and also having a little more bottom end grunt to overcome it. We were thinking the converter from the start but never went with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts