Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 270HP 350, and I want to keep it pretty much stock and original. I'd like to dress up the motor without looking for much in HP upgrades. There is no need to remove the engine, so everything will be done with it in the car.
So my idea was to swap to an aluminum intake. Maybe an Edelbrock Performer (2101?) I've already swapped out the Quadrajet for a spreadbore Holley. I've eliminated the heatriser on the exhaust manifold, but would like to have the provision in the manifold for the heat operated choke spring.
Then maybe some valve covers. Cast aluminum or chrome would add some shine.
Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
So my idea was to swap to an aluminum intake. Maybe an Edelbrock Performer (2101?).....I've eliminated the heatriser on the exhaust manifold, but would like to have the provision in the manifold for the heat operated choke spring.
I don't usually see aftermarket intakes that offer this provision. I think most people end up going to an electric or manual choke when swapping to the common aftermarket intakes such as Edelbrock Performer, etc.

Valve covers are always an easy way to dress things up. You could also consider a chrome radiator support, chrome open-element air cleaner, etc. All of those items could also easily be returned to stock if you ever want to.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I imagine your intake is stock cast unit so an aluminum performer Rpm is a nice performing intake and as mentioned if keeping the holley carb switch it to an electric choke type, way easier to use. As for covers chrome is so common but a nice finned aluminum cover is a step up in looks and style too. A lot of choices of air breathers too even the alum finned versions.:D

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I imagine your intake is stock cast unit so an aluminum performer Rpm is a nice performing intake and as mentioned if keeping the holley carb switch it to an electric choke type, way easier to use. As for covers chrome is so common but a nice finned aluminum cover is a step up in looks and style too. A lot of choices of air breathers too even the alum finned versions.:D
Is there anything like an "old school" aluminum intake that has the "old school" choke?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anything like an "old school" aluminum intake that has the "old school" choke?
:mad:Ok. So here's where I'm at now. My Holley is a 650 CFM 6210 with a "divorced choke". The folks at Holley say there's no way to retrofit an electric choke to that model.
Popping for a new and improved Holley at $450 when there is nothing wrong with this one isn't an option. So new aftermarket intakes are out too as they have no provision for the old choke.
So there must be an older style aluminum intake, either GM or aftermarket, with that choke option. This is going on a stock 350 from 1971. Does anybody have any models or numbers? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None that I am aware of. The Performer is the basic stock replacement manifold. If you do change your mind, look at the Holley Street Avenger carbs, and the Edelbrock perfromer EPS manifold.
Thanks for the reply. None of he earlier small blocks had a factory aliminum intake with that type of choke? 302 Z 28's or LT1's?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Recently went away from chrome and went to black and some polished parts. Exception is the e-shine Edelbrock intake and carb. Still have some chrome but wanted to go a different way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ols school choke, why bother with such stuff, is it just for the stock look, you will lose that on any other aftermarket parts right away. But if your stuck on an aluminum old skool intake you would have to find a stock Gm factory aluminum intake with the old choke style, will be really hard to find because most will want for a 100% stock build and almost any newer alum intake performs better today. Do you not want an electric choke, they work the best and easy to adjust too. One keyed ignition wire and your on your way.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A manual choke would be an even more reliable option. They will outlast any other style of choke, but require you to run a cable into the car and are obviously not automatic.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ols school choke, why bother with such stuff, is it just for the stock look, you will lose that on any other aftermarket parts right away. But if your stuck on an aluminum old skool intake you would have to find a stock Gm factory aluminum intake with the old choke style, will be really hard to find because most will want for a 100% stock build and almost any newer alum intake performs better today. Do you not want an electric choke, they work the best and easy to adjust too. One keyed ignition wire and your on your way.
My biggest concern was replacing a perfectly good Holley for another $450 one with an electric choke. I'm thinking that my "old school" Nova will remain "old school", and I'll just clean everything up and leave it as it is. Thanks for all of the replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts