Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1963 stock 194cid I just got done rebuilding the engine and I want to to paint it its original color. Question is- how do I find out or can anybody tell me what color they came from the factory and what was painted the block, head,brackets,thermo housing,fuel pump,all of the above or none of the above.

Thanks for your help
EGGS 63 Chevy II

·
Registered
553 Posts
It was painted Chevrolet orange. The intake was painted, the head, the valve cover of course. Also, the waterpump and the thermostat housing was painted orange. Not 100% sure, but from what I have seen and heard the exhaust was cast. I had mine Jet Hot coated in a cast finish. The fuel pump was natural finish as well as the coil bracket. The coil is black as well as the engine mounts. Did I cover everything?

·
Registered
689 Posts
think that is all correct

Novaken has it right as far as I have ever seen. Purely correct car have overspray on the exhaust manifolds; but I couldn't take that and had mine hot coated cast gray. Here is a pic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Gents for your insight and the pic, if anyone has anymore info on this subject that would be great also.

Thanks Egg

·
Registered
689 Posts
Red?

Supersport,

Is there a "correct" Chevy red? You see different shades of orange from various suppliers; but is there actually a different "red" that would be correct for an early chevy motor. Mine is a 65 and I believe the orange was correct. is earlier different?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to Rudy @ Modern Performance in Orange, CA. He said that the correct color was the chevy orange with a very little bit of red tint to it. There is no # for this color. he also said that nobody at a car show is going to sweat you for not having the red tint.

Egg

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, there are different shades of Chevy orange engine enamel, and I agree that originally it had a slight hint of red in it. The closest I have found to original is Duplicolor engine enamel. It has the slight red tint to it. That is what I have used and it looks really good. But, after time, the red seems to fade so there ya go. No one is that picky in my opinion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is what the forum is for!

Supersport, Novaken, this is what the forum on originality is for. To have this type of Q&A with various peoples experience. I had my valve cover and side covers on the 194 powder coated and had to try 3 different "chevy oranges" to find one to match. And yes, one was too red! I have seen some of the older Chevys other than Novas at shows with what appeard to be a redder color. As one who tried to do a correct restoration to my car, the details matter sometimes. Thanks for the discussion guys.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I thought you were being a smarty pants when you posted "red", Mario. It is cool to see the way some of these conversations unfold. It's even better when you learn from them!;)

Randy

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Oops!! My mistake! (yeah right!) I must've confused you with that other guy (your mentor!) Next time I will just point the finger right at him, while he ramains nameless (Johnny!) It doesn't really matter anyway. It's all xinloi's fault!!!:D :D

Randy (that should clear it all up!!):rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Looks like the color of a Blue Flame 6 to me. Is that in your SS?

Randy (or late model corporate blue):confused:

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
It is not as easy as you think to find Chevy engine red!!

That the color your talking about Mario?

Randy (seeing red!!):D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
That engine picture is very helpful to newbies. I see a lot of these with the chrome valve cover. I have had 2 with it. Was it an option or did it come on the nicer models ?

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
409's were red...... The 6 cylinder chrome treatment was a one year only (1964) 230 cid 155 hp engine used in Novas & Chevelle only. It had a chrome valve cover., chrome air cleaner cover., chrome breather., chrome oil & trans sticks., & chrome fuel & vacume lines........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. My 63 had the chrome valve cover only back in 69. The 62 I bought the other day had the chrome valve cover and side covers. I have not seen one with the chrome air cleaner though.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Thanks for the info. My 63 had the chrome valve cover only back in 69. The 62 I bought the other day had the chrome valve cover and side covers. I have not seen one with the chrome air cleaner though.
The chrome items that you mention are aftermarket accessories have been available for many years.....The only straight six Chevrolet engine that came from the factory in the 60's with any type of chrome treatment was the 230 cid pictured in my prior post...... The chrome does make them look cool.., nevertheless......:yes::yes::yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts