Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm about ready to drop the motor in my wagon for the last time and can't decide what color to paint it. I got the engine bay cleaned up and painted a satan black. The car will eventually be a dark blue. Should i paint the entire motor(pan, block, heads, intake, possibly valve covers) chevy orange or gloss black. The fenderwell headers are ceramic coated chrome-like and the carb is chrome. The valve covers will be either painted or chrome as well. I love chevy orange but think it might clash with the dark blue i'll paint the car. What do you guys think? ~Travis

63 Longroof
402 Big Block & Turbo 400
In Stock Clip

·
Registered
461 Posts
I went round and round on the same thing just a few weeks ago.

I had an orange block and the engine I just put in I ended up painting semi gloss black. I like it better. My eninge compartment is flat black and my car is denum blue.

But its what ever you like -

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I think they look great painted the same color as the car itself.Or a close variant..02

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
my dad and i have never had good results with motors painted black...
some karma thing i guess...i say go orange....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Engine Paint

I JUST INSTALLED A NEW MOTOR IN MY 66 SS. I PAINTED MY MOTOR THE SAME COLOR AS MY INTERIOR DEEP RED. PREPED BLOCK, PRIMED WITH HIGH HEAT PRIMER, USED ACRYLIC ENAMEL WITH HARDNER. LOOKS GREAT. I WOULD POST SOME PICS BUT, DON'T KNOW HOW.:cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Just me - but a Chevy engine is supposed to be Chevy Orange. ;)

Probably some kind of mental thing from my misspent youth. :beer: :beer: :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
I paint the block satin black and have everything else I can be cast aluminum. I don't have any pics right now, but when I get my 540 put back together in the "go-fast car", I'll try to post 'em.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys but i think i'm gonna paint the motor gloss black and keep the big block a little more subtle. I like the black and chrome theme. I'll gets some pics when i get it put back together. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
wolfen said:
Is that "SATAN BLACK" a high heat paint????:D :D :D
No sense of "hummer" here?????::eek: ;)

When I got my heads redone they came back from the shop gloss black and I liked the look so I got paint from the machine shop that did them and painted my block the same colour black and I think it looks good with aluminum trim, covers and aircleaner(Edelbrock Elite series)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts