Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apologize if I am beating a dead horse, but I could use some help. I have researched a bit in the forums but still have no real answer.

I have found (via SUMMIT, JEGS, etc) the truck blocks that are 4-bolt main, roller (880 block?) that have no provision for a Mechanical Fuel Pump, but are reasonably priced roller engines.

I have also found the ZZ4 Short Block
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12561723/10002/-1

Is this the same block (but with stronger internals)?

Bottom Line:

Where should I look (part number, location, coding etc.) for a reasonably priced, buildable short block that has factory roller provisions AND is drilled for a Mechanical Fuel Pump? I would prefer a new short block and just dont know which way to go. I am certain this has been covered here, but just cant research it in the right key words to pull the results.

I would also prefer that it be standard enough to bolt directly to a TH400 and use as much old school SBC parts as possible. Am I dreaming?

Thanks for any help provided!

V/R

TE

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, that is the newer roller block and it will have mechanical F/P provisions. DONT get GM's "Forged Internals" line mixed up....these are not 4340 forged internals most performance companies would use. The rotating assembly in the engine would be equivelent to the the Scat 9000 series, basically a street short block/mild strip.

If your ok with a seasoned block, I can save you some $ on a comporable short block, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Brandon

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,

Thanks for the info. I new that the initial link that I sent was the basic ZZ4 short block. I am trying to run down any other GM short blocks that were 4 bolt main, roller cam provisions, with mechanical fuel pump drilled.

Does anyone know where this unicorn is? What was the standard 4 bolt main 350 used that had the above in the 90's? Anyone?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thats your only option from GM (ZZ4). 87-2000 blocks were not guaranteed to have the mechanical f/p boss. and 96-2000 had the roller setups.

The main way engine builders like myself do it is by using core blocks, drilling the f/p boss on 4 bolt blocks with hyd roller provisions so that they can be used. Sometimes you can find a roller block with pump provisions, but its not easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts