Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
built a 300 inch SB and had 12:1 pistons milled down - wanted less than 11:1 with todays gas- machinist went to far ended up @ 9:1 and that motor barely ran with 30/30 cam 3" of vacuum!! only cost a over a grand to fix, couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run- lost a few hairs over that. took a mchinist to explain to me how fast a small motor loses compression- Lesson Learned! :(

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,285 Posts
Using a tweaked oil pan. New or used they will leak around the front and rear seals if they are not to spec. Stay away from anything ebay/china!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I made a stupid mistake and didn't properly weld the oil pump pickup to the pump properly...I was afraid of overheating the o ring...eventually the pickup fell off and destroyed my 468...but that was 30 years ago...didn't like that motor anyway...way too much power at the tires and could never floorboard it even at 90 mph ...plus the extra weight made it sloppy handling

·
Super Moderator
3,801 Posts
I once rebuilt an Austin A40 engine out of a Metropolitan. That was the first mistake, that decision alone. Simple engine, but expensive to get parts for. The front pulley is held on by a special bolt, and I didn't check the threads in the front of the crank when assembling the engine. They were pretty buggered. Just get a tap and clean up the threads, right? 5/8 bolt, so I got a tap and started to tap the crankshaft. SAE tap for 5/8 is a 5/8-16, but being British and using Whitworth hardware throughout, the bolt and correct threads were 5/8-18. I employed all of my car assembly vocabulary that day, to be sure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
30+ years ago working on my partners GTO with a Pontiac 400 in it. It Won't start popping and farting guys are going its 180 out its 180 out no I know its not that. I'm looking at it then it dawns on me the Dist sits on the other side of the cam and rotates opposite of a Chevy..:eek:

Another time 30 yrs ago working in a machine shop we would all take our break in the room where the engines were stored that were ready to ship, I reach over with my fingers and spin a rod nut off an engine then another and another.. Our assembler liked to yak on the phone while he was slamming engines together. Needless to say he spent a day going over each and every one with a torque wrench..
I had similar but on a light aircraft. Needed to replace two cylinders on one side of a 6 cyl opposed engine installed on a single engine plane. Two brand new supposedly plug and play cylinders put on fresh from the factory. I get assigned a freight run the next day to take steering wheels to a tractor factory in Missouri. About an hour into the flight the engine starts to shake and rapidly gets to the point where it is trying to tear itself off the plane. I had to shut it down to prevent damage and was able to glide into a small municipal airport. Turned out that the factory assembler did not torque the end caps that hold the wrist pins for the rockers in place and they backed out on one cylinder and that vibration caused them to back out the pins on the second. It was weird. The exhaust side was properly torqued. The FAA fined the shop that built them. I never installed another cylinder without checking all the factory torques myself. You never forget lessons that almost kill you!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts