Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided it's time to upgrade my tired 230 for some V8 power. I just purchased a small journal 327 block, no crank or anything. Looking for suggestions on a good street motor build or engine component combo. I'm not too concerned about keeping things original looking since it's a mordor and will keep the 230 badging on the side.

So between my dad and I we have a 307 complete, a 283 block with crank, a 327 block only, and a 402 complete. Lol I know the 402 is a pipe dream but does anyone have suggestions on either the 327 build or some other Frankenstein with those parts?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Listed in order of my preference.

1. 327 - Because back in the day this was a serious weapon in a light weight Nova..
2. 283 - These were no joke either they just got out cubed by the 327.
3. 307 - Because I’m a small block kind of guy and it’s a complete engine.
4. 402 - Pipe dreams can come true and you seem way more enthusiastic about it then the others..

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i'd vote for the 327 to get built an installed. i guess you have a power glide tranny ? a 700r4 tranny behind that 327 would be a sweet combo. an then some 3.55 gears with a posi in the back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nova Thug, the 402 BBC is already rebuilt, so I wouldn't have little if any engine work, but obviously I'd have to replace my front clip to accommodate. All the other engines need dipped and pieced together.

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
i'd vote for the 327 to get built an installed. i guess you have a power glide tranny ? a 700r4 tranny behind that 327 would be a sweet combo. an then some 3.55 gears with a posi in the back.
The transmission question could be more important than you might think. If you are planning to use any type of manual transmission, you'll likely run into problems with the "Z bar" in the clutch linkage. GM cast special engine blocks for the Chevy II that (among other things) have the hole for the clutch pivot ball relocated to create correct alignment for the clutch linkage. Also, unless you're planning to modify the steering, you'll need to use a front-sump oil pan and pump to clear the steering linkage (drag link, etc.).

BTW, I'd also vote for the 327 with a 'modern' tranny like the 700r4. That's a combo that would be much easier to live with in today's traffic!

·
Registered
538 Posts
327's my vote, too. 402's are very heavy. The kicker in my opinion with the 327 is trying to find a light piston that has a .035-.040 quench and around 9.5::1 (with iron heads) or 10:1 (with aluminum heads). I would also go through the process of determining what your goals are for the car. You can build a 600 HP naturally aspirated 327 that will be awesome at the strip and not so awesome on the street, for example. I'm going through that process now and it's easy since I am doing a 350 and there's many different cheap pistons and parts available. You can keep the cost down if you don't have to by custom pistons.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Z28 302 small block. You have a 283 crank and a 327 block. Depending on how much that block needs to be bored to clean up. You can make a high revving 302-307 that would be a fun motor to twist up. :cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Z28 302 small block. You have a 283 crank and a 327 block. Depending on how much that block needs to be bored to clean up. You can make a high revving 302-307 that would be a fun motor to twist up. :cool:
Agreed. Big solid lifter cam and either the 302 or the 327. There are many many chevy enthusiasts that believe the 327 was the best chevy motor made for decades.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Lots of good advice already given. I think you should decide how you want to use the car. Then, it might make sense to sell off some of what you have and buy or build the engine/trans combo that best meets your needs. I'm just suggesting that you think outside that box of parts that you have now, rather than limit your options to just those.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks Nova Thug, the 402 BBC is already rebuilt, so I wouldn't have little if any engine work, but obviously I'd have to replace my front clip to accommodate. All the other engines need dipped and pieced together.
That is the downside. A small block will go in much much easier. I was going to put a big block in my 80 Malibu, but all the accessories on the chevy V6 are small block chevy based. And being the car came with a small block as an option it only makes sense to put a small block in it. I would build the biggest small block you can afford. But if you are going off parts you have, then go 327.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Price dictates most decisions

It would be a good idea to take the 327 and 283 to your preferred engine shop to get information regarding build prices and drivability.
I would probably go for the 327 restoration but I fondly remember when small journal 327s with 283 cranks were an awesome 301 combination.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My vote is: Anything but the 307.

They were good engines - but you can't use the word "performance" in the same sentence with one.
Why not? It will respond to speed parts just as well as any other small block. A properly built 307 will out run a 305 or a 283 and do a respectable job hanging with a 327 or an averagly built 350.

But since you already have other engines I would build the 327, simply because it will make a little more torque than the others, which is what you want in a street car. All the engines you have, except the 402, are going to produce similar ho and torque numbers if you use the same heads and cam on them. The snaller the engine, the higher it has to rev to get max power, while the bigger the engine, the more power you make at lower rpm. Talking street engine here with street cams, not race engines which can be totally different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for the feedback. Going to go with the 327. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stick with the 327. Add some good Vortec style heads (factory vortec, edelbrock 170 ETEC, etc.) keeping the port small 180cc or less for good port velocity, run a performer rpm air gap, 650 street HP carb, and a cam with at least 10 degrees more exhaust duration than intake (to help the poor exhaust flow compared to the intake the vortec heads have), and hang on. Choose a cam that has a powerband to 6000 rpm, which the specs given by companies are for a 350 cube engine, add 200 or so for the powerband in a 327.

Depending on your budget the new heads from trick flow would work great and they look like factory double humps. But, because of their improved exhaust port flow, use a single pattern cam. The rule is if the exhaust flows 75% of the intake, use a single pattern cam. For each 1% less than 75%, add 1.5 degrees more exhaust duration.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/trick-flow-dhc-175-cylinder-heads-for-small-block-chevrolet

·
Registered
113 Posts
Depending on your use will determine which you chose. I personally would go with the 307. Yes they were thought to be a crap engine but what everyone forgets is that they had large open chamber heads, they came with flat top pistons and a crap cam replace the cam and head with better ones especially the heads something woth better flows and small chambers and they can make some decent power and torque just like any small block chevy. Also do some research they have a stroke to bore ratio that is near what some would consider the sweet spot of 1.7 to 1 unlike most sbc, also with shorter stroke than 350 they will rev a little higher and faster than a 350. I am turning my 283 into a 311 by boring .030 over, 327 crank(same stroke as a 307) adding gm 062 vortec heads and spread bore Rochester and if should make a little then 1hp per cube easy and the biggest expense will be my intake evey thing else as far as machine work will cost you the same as any sbc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts