Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blocks have always flash rusted some after the final wash I give them. Even spraying them as soon as possible with WD-40 or whatever I had on hand. These were pretty much stock internals so even though it bothered me I went ahead a assembled them.

Now im running a lot better parts and I just washed my block yesterday and of course it flash rusted. Im not so eager now to throw high dollar parts in a less than optimal block.

What do you guys do to keep the flash rust away? I don't see any way possible since as im done washing im drying and spraying the block down with oil and it still rusts before your eyes.

Do you guys just ignore the flash rust and assemble or is there some magic potion I don't know about to keep the flash off.

As bad as I hate too im thinking of taking the block back to the machine shop to have it washed again. Which would mean paying for new cam bearings also. Anyone have anywords of advice?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
so long as you dont have any flash rust in the bores or lifter bores youll be fine i say assemble it. if you have flash rust on the head surface you can wipe it off with a rag ( lint free of corse ) and some wd-40

1 - 2 of 2 Posts