Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, my car is in Illinois and I have a shop finishing my project but I guess there are some issues with the conversion I started with a 468 in my deuce.

I used 66-67 chevelle motor mounts, and the trans crossmember from bowtie overdrives (200r) and eyeballing the engine it looks like it may be tilted with the front of the engine up a little too high. Anyone know what angle is acceptable? I was thinking it would probably be possible to shim the crossmember a bit if necessary to try and push the back of the engine and the trans up a little higher, but then if my time messing with lowered s-10's wasn't completely wasted won't this throw off the pinion angle of the driveshaft to the 12 bolt?

Also I'm running these http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-BBNOVA-Big-Block-Chevy-Blockhugger-Header-Set-for-62-67-Nova.html
and where the exhaust dumps, there's really no way to bend the exhaust to fit that pan (for a 66-67 chevelle). Anyone have any idea what pan will work and still give me some room to run the exhaust?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas on this? I realize I'm having more difficulties than most with the bbc into a 66. I have a shop smoothing the wiper hump so that the valve covers will fit, and some other things that have come up. Like I said on the earlier post I'm not around to get pictures of the exact angle that the engine is declining at, but I imagine that if it's tilted too far forward or too far back that it will mess with the carb and I'll have some issues with that.

Anyone have any ideas on if shimming the trans crossmember would raise the back of the engine up (and if so, what kind of deviation from being level is acceptable).

I can probably call around and find a different oil pan if none of you have run those headers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From memory I would guess its more than that, 5* probably would be just barely noticeable. 10-15 is more like it. I bought the engine off of a crate which was an engine dynoed but never installed bbc off a guys 67 chevelle. When I told him I could use the motor mounts that were for his car he just grabbed two of them. I'm almost wondering if they were warped from his abuse of them, but I didn't think they would get that much flex in them.

I'll let this shop that has my car know that if it's the motor mounts, to try and maybe shim the trans cross member. I was thinking BB Nova put a bbc in an early nova and he hasn't had half the problems I have.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
are you using the factory nova frame stands? these chevelle mounts are they the rubber ones? and are they actually BBC motor mounts?

·
4,534 Posts
I think 2* is the std.

Miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts