Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best street/strip combo for my newly accquired 73. I'm new to this and about all I know is that it all has to work well together. As far as the car being on the street, it only be around town. No long highway trips. I can get my hands on a 454 cheap but, I'm not sure if it's the best for what I want. Can you guys point me in the right direction? Be thourough please as this is my first project. Thanks...Greg

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
"Best" is too broad.

What do you want to do with the car?

You can have an awful lot of fun on your way to having the "best". of anything.

If you hold off on everything on your way to having the "Best", other things have a tendency to get in the way and you might never get there.

Best at what?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want lots of torque. I want that "eyeballs in the back of my head feeling" when It launches off the line. But still be able to drive in town. So I guess I want more strip than street.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
good luck getting traction on the street, but decent 454 will give you more torque than you'll ever use. some have had problems putting a bbc in a 73/74 since they were never factory equipped, so if you'd like to avoid the hassle a 350 or 383 can accomplish the same. with a sbc i'd look at a 180cc head, hydraulic roller cam, performer rpm air gap, and a 650 or 750 holley to accomplish a good torquey motor. you'll have to decide how fast you want to spin it but i think 6k rpm is where i'd aim for a max rpm with a street motor. as far as drivability in town, i'd think a 3.73 or 4.10 gear would be what i'd choose, deeper if you like it slow and loud :devil:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
good luck getting traction on the street, but decent 454 will give you more torque than you'll ever use. some have had problems putting a bbc in a 73/74 since they were never factory equipped, so if you'd like to avoid the hassle a 350 or 383 can accomplish the same. with a sbc i'd look at a 180cc head, hydraulic roller cam, performer rpm air gap, and a 650 or 750 holley to accomplish a good torquey motor. you'll have to decide how fast you want to spin it but i think 6k rpm is where i'd aim for a max rpm with a street motor. as far as drivability in town, i'd think a 3.73 or 4.10 gear would be what i'd choose, deeper if you like it slow and loud :devil:
A 400 small block can be a real torkey engine also. My dad had a 406 in his 67. FAST!!!!!!:eek::yes:

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Depends how deep you pockets are :yes::yes::yes::devil:
that basically what it comes down to. If your pocket are deep U can pick up 572 crate motor with 650hp. That will definitely put your eye's back in your head especially if you drop a blower on it. Now if you are on a budget U can look into some thing like a 383 stroker or small block 400 with a really healthy cam. this JMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a performer rpm air gap?

As far as deep pockets, they aren't that deep. I can afford a little at a time but not much all at once, if that makes any sense.. What about the trans...TH350?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
A small block built right will give you some face pulling TQ. :D
I am on a budget and overtime I got a 500HP & 500 TQ 408 done with some 3:73 gears and an auto tranny. But as said before, getting it to hook on the street is a challenge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've been sitting here doing alot of research on the 383 and it seems to me to be the better engine. Should I buy one allready built or buy a block and have it done locally?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

Don't know the issues regarding install...but the 454 will give you the best bang for the buck in the torque dept....even a mild build will be around 500 ft lbs....that will get 'er done:yes:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
What is a performer rpm air gap?

As far as deep pockets, they aren't that deep. I can afford a little at a time but not much all at once, if that makes any sense.. What about the trans...TH350?
I performer RPM air gap is an edelbrock manifold. From what I hear its the best all around intake. Perfect for a driver/ strip car. I am on a budget also and built a 383 stroker for my car. I felt that was the best bang for my buck. I also was givin a 350 block for free. When it comes to a tranny, it comes down to a personal preferance. I decided a muncie 4 speed and built my motor around that. As far as a rear end is concerned. You probably have a 8.5 rear end. Use it build it up later. Just as strong as a 12 bolt. Here is a link for idenification.

http://www.maliburacing.com/rearend_guide.html

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Don't know the issues regarding install...
i seem to recall reading about someone having a heck of a time getting his mounts in right. there are hundreds of 73-74 owners that have done the conversion without issue, but it's something to consider.

Should I buy one allready built or buy a block and have it done locally?
if there's a local shop you trust, i'd have it built locally. having said that, many companies that build crate engines and long blocks offer warranties with their products. almost all of them are voided if you do any racing, so bear that in mind. if you have a friend who has some experience doing this kind of stuff, you can pretty much build a small block over a weekend. they're not hard to do, but it's important that you have someone with some experience there to supervise, and a good assembly manual is a must.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. Didn't know that about the warranty issue. Thanks again, as I said I'm learning, so I appreciate ALL aof the advice I get

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys, I can pick up a 350 out of a 77 stingray for $300. Engine runs as is but will be tore down and built up. I want a torquey, powerful motor. Is this a good place to start?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, planning on 383 stroker. I'm new to this so I've got a thousand ideas running through my head.What i really want is a blower motor but don't even know where to begin with that. Also, I wasn't sure it that engine was a good starting platform or if I should go with a newer model motor or what.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
the motor out of that stingray is a great place to start. a good naturally aspirated small block would probably be where i'd start. no sense getting in over your head. besides you can always add a blower later if you don't go too high on compression.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts