Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll start from the beginning...

When I bought my '63 Nova a bit over a year ago the turn signal switch was broken and I bought a replacement off eBay.

After about a month it started having problems. Basically, it would randomly not cancel on various turns, or create a circuit across the wrong contacts (and the tail lights would blink like 4-ways), or not work at all. You could kind of play with the lever and sometimes fix it for a while, but eventually it just constantly flashed the faux-4-ways in the rear.

Read online here that the reproduction turn signals are junk and assumed that's what I inadvertently bought... So, I ordered a SECOND turn signal switch from Chevy 2 Only and got a guarantee that it was in fact Made in the USA and I also got a new steering column bearing...

Well, 4 months in and now this 2nd turn signal switch is having the exact same problems... I only drive the car around on various weekends so it's not like it's getting a lot of usage either.

Anyway, now I don't know if I just have horrible luck with junk parts, or if there is a reason I could be wearing through these turn signal switches. I'd rather not spend another $60+ on a 3rd if I'm going to be replacing it in a few months again.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

·
6,501 Posts
The problems you are having remind me of problems that others have had with sending units for the gas tanks. Sometimes the replacement, whether it's an original piece, an aftermarket piece, or one thats made here or wherever might work for many years down the road, maybe work once or twice, or not even work at all. You just have to see if it's a problem with the quality of the part, a problem due to something else like a worn part that directly connects to it, or even a problem due to the installation.

I'm not a turn signal expert by any means but if I were to look at a turn signal switch assembly and see that possibly one mounting ear has a crack in it I might think it could be due to a bad piece of material that makes this part up or maybe think that there could be a problem with either tightening an attachment screw down too tight or too loose or then maybe even having a problem with the surface not being right that it sits against. I would love to think that everything I've ever worked on was virgin and correct but sometimes it's not. I've been duped before with people saying they have never touched or monkeyed with something only to find out the person before them messed with it and screwed things up. I would also like to think anything that came out of the factory was perfect but I've learned it's not always 100%.

You can sit there and throw new parts at things but sometimes it could be a part problem or some other problem and at some point either yourself or someone else needs to dig deeper into the assembly and see what is going on.

As far as the bearing replacement, this might only help with the column staying centered but may do nothing for a shaft to keep it from going in another direction (like in and out from the gear box). Hard telling if this has any relationship to breaking a turn signal assembly BUT better qualified people may know.

Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cancelling is a function of the part that bolts to the back of the steering wheel.As for the contacts touching and doing wierd things been there done that.You can take the cancel cam off and look at the contacts.Lots of info and pictures on this thread

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207332
Thanks so much for the thread link! I'm not as much concerned with the turn signal canceling perfectly as I am flashing the person behind me with 4-ways every time I try to make a right turn.

I'm going to sort this out tomorrow, but if I were a betting man I'd guess the spring contacts are junk as you found.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I fought mine for a while too. I ended up replacing the "springs" that connect the contacts inside the switch with some original GM parts from a broken 63 switch. And if your switch works before you tighten down the screws then acts differently when the screws are tight, the housing cup may not be flat on the bottom, you have to remove it and beat it flat against a flat surface. These two things fixed my indicators.

·
Registered
150 Posts
check the housing

Thanks so much for the thread link! I'm not as much concerned with the turn signal canceling perfectly as I am flashing the person behind me with 4-ways every time I try to make a right turn.

I'm going to sort this out tomorrow, but if I were a betting man I'd guess the spring contacts are junk as you found.
I had a similar problem on my '63 wagon .I went thru 2 switches and one bearing I even replaced bulbs and tail light sockets.... it would act crazy and it made me crazy! I got desperate and started disasembleing the switches and bending the contacts. this would work for a while then it would go back to acting crazy...Then one day i got lucky. After removing the switch for the umpteenth time I started to tighten the three machine screws that fasten the switch to the switch housing. apparently i had the ignition switch on and the turn signal activated.As i was tightening the screws it started to act crazy if i loosened the screws it would work perfectly.....I removed the switch housing and noticed that the base ( where the three machine screws fasten to) was bent!!!! I wraped the housing in a shop rag and secured it in a vice and
:cool:
tapped it back into shape with a broom stick and hammer.Apparently what was happening is that due to the bent (uneven housing base ) as i tightened it down it was DISTORTING the switch! After reassembleing everything it worked perfectly and has never given me any more problems for the last four years.... Hope this leads you in the right direction

·
Registered
150 Posts
no problem Jim

^ that was the advice that got me on the right track,didn't intend to swipe your tip Rodnock6.
I'm glad my previous response to you was able to help you out Jim and it really doesn't matter who gets credit as long as a bent housing isn't overlooked as a cause or at the very least a contributing factor on these pesky annoying electrical gremlins!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts