Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1963 Nova SS gasser with a 4 speed and a ford posi rear end with disc brakes. There is no emergency brake in the car and I would like to install one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Ernie.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
Maybe a few pictures of the rear end and the type of brakes/backing plates on it. If you could figure out what the donor car was for the rear end, the e-brake cables and hardware would follow.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Did a lot of business with these guys back in the 1990s when I was in the L.A. area. I do not recall any push-pull cable they could not make. Real clean operation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a few pictures of the rear end and the type of brakes/backing plates on it. If you could figure out what the donor car was for the rear end, the e-brake cables and hardware would follow.
Thanks. Sorry it took so long to get back. I was able to contact the previous owner and found out that the rear end is from a 2002 Ford Explorer. It's an 8.8, 3.73 posi. Part of my problem is there is no parking brake set up under the dash. Here are some pictures. Thanks, Ernie.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a lot of business with these guys back in the 1990s when I was in the L.A. area. I do not recall any push-pull cable they could not make. Real clean operation.

Thanks for the info, Ernie.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
You could go with an E-Stopp electric setup. Not cheap. They run about $450. Not having the under dash mechanical is a plus in my book. Frees up much needed space in some cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could go with an E-Stopp electric setup. Not cheap. They run about $450. Not having the under dash mechanical is a plus in my book. Frees up much needed space in some cases.
Thanks, I had been giving that some thought, but as you said it's not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
Interesting. I mean, it looks like there are no hard cables to the backing plates, only hydraulics. That kind of sucks. What does an Explorer do for the parking brake?

Now, I remember that early Mopar and some trucks have a parking brake setup on the end of the transmission. There's a small drum and some shoes and a cable, and it halts the driveshaft in place there. I also found this:

Same theory, but back at the yoke. A little pricey, but if you click on 'what's in the kit', it seems to come with everything. You might contact them to see if they have a kit specifically for your rear, and what they have might fit. At least it doesn't require adapting something in the wheel/backing plate area.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Explorer 8.8s have a cable pull parking brake- it looks like yours has been removed as there is no cable attachment arm/tab sticking out from the backing plate. They work like a drum brake inside the disk rotor. Grab those parts and a junkyard hand brake of your choice if missing your under dash E brake parts and then just need to figure out what you need for cables to tie it all together. Likely can figure something out from the handbrake donor car cables and/or stock explorer cables. Lots of 4x4 forums will have examples- 8.8s have been swapped into all kinds of rigs. And for my 2 cents, while there I'd consider a re-design of your lower shock mounts and change out the U bolts that they were welded to.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You might want to contact these guys for cables and a handle. They won't have the OEM parts for the rearend but they will get you to that point w/o spending a lot. This is a good website for hot rodders.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You might want to contact these guys for cables and a handle. They won't have the OEM parts for the rearend but they will get you to that point w/o spending a lot. This is a good website for hot rodders.
I used Control Cables to make parking brake cables for my car a few years ago. The price was very fair, and their customer service was excellent. As suggested gopher suggested, go to a junk yard and grab all the missing pieces, including original parking brake cables from an Explorer. That will give you a solid starting point. I used a set of old cables as a model for Control Cables to build mine from. They work great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts