Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 66-67 10 bolt rear end to put in my 63, since I have been told by many that the stock 63 rears will not handle any hp. The 66-67 rear end did not have the emergency brake cable. So I was going to take the cable off my stock one and put it on the new rear end. Is this possible? If so can anyone provide me with some tips and advice on how to do it?

Thanks

·
Banned
389 Posts
Brake cable

Someone else may jump in and add to this; but if you take the drum off both rearends and compare the brake hardware I think they are the same, and the cable should work.
As for removing the cable from your old backing plate, a fella showed me a little trick to compress the retainer without damaging it, and later you just open the tangs back up when you put it in your new rearend. Use a small 3/8's hose clamp around it and tighten until it will slip out the backside of the backing plate.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I usually slip a box wrench over the tabs after removing the lever arm. This compresses the tabs, then you pull the cable thru the backing plate hole. As I remember the wrench size is either !/2" or 9/16", I hope this helps.
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
NovaFan63 said:
Thanks for the help. I have decided to skip the parking brake. I figure it is an automatic trans so when it is in park that should be good enough.

Will this be a street driven car that needs a safety inspection? It may be required to have a parking brake to pass, I'm not sure what Calif. requires but Texas has to have a working parking brake.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Don't you have to get some type of annual emissions and safety inspection or is the car exempt due to it's age. I thought Calif. had a very strict annual inspection.????

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, due to its age no smog inspection is necessary. But I tried using Bill K's advice with the 9/16 box wrench and it came right out. I am still undecided if I am going to reinstall it on the new rear end or not but I was able to get it off the old one. Thanks for all the help guys, this site has been great.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
The emergency brake is called an emergency brake for a reason! Don't drive without it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I 100% agree with "67Pete" !!!

I have scars on my leg to prove it. But thankfully, I still have my life and both legs to prove it. I was lucky, but an emergency brake would have prevented the whole thing in my case.

Forgive me for asking, as I am not up todate with my 1st gen's, but what you all are saying is that the 1st gen (or atleast 63's) didn't have an emergency brake? (as the 67 rear end does and you don't have anything to pull the cabling with)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
had the master cylinder fail on a car i had... if it wasn't for the E-Brake i woulda went through a VERY busy intersection and ate it big time...

they're not giving bad advice... install that E-Brake. the life that's saved may be someone elses !!!

mine !!! :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts