Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
62 nova I bought has power brakes, I want fender well headers more than power brakes I know sounds ridiculous but that’s what I want, I’m not touring in it ever or road racing, I want the fender well look, my question is will the master cylinder with booster attached work if I remove the the booster or should I buy a aftermarket original one ?

· Registered
1,189 Posts
master should work just fine, might want to see what bore it is though as you don't want a big bore with manual brakes, probably want <1" bore with manual

I have manual brakes and steering on one 63
rebuilding another, definitely going power steering but see no need to go to power brakes

· Registered
920 Posts
I don't think the 62-67 II's came with OE power brakes but I could be wrong,maybe an oddball option in 67,so the fenderwells are probably not manufactured to clear a booster. I have the Doug's 329's but my engine sits a wee bit lower than stock;however,that driver's rear tube does sweep forward quite a bit. Fore and aft my motor is in the factory location,I measure about 4"-4 1/2" from the firewall to where your booster may contact the tube. Looks like you may get lucky,it would be tight and that booster is gonna get a good heat soaking.

Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

· Registered
429 Posts
Power brakes were an option 62-67. 67 was the first year for dual chamber master cylinder so the inner fender has an indent to clear it with power brakes.

Try the master cylinder you have without the booster. If the pedal effort is acceptable you are all set, If not you may need a smaller bore. You will need to move that proportioning valve and the lines out of the way. If you are driving the car on the street you will need to make up a heat shield or the headers will boil the brake fluid.

· Registered
22 Posts
62 nova I bought has power brakes, I want fender well headers more than power brakes I know sounds ridiculous but that’s what I want, I’m not touring in it ever or road racing, I want the fender well look, my question is will the master cylinder with booster attached work if I remove the the booster or should I buy a aftermarket original one ?
I would look at the pressure and pedal ratio if removing the booster. I took mine out for a different reason, putting everything under dash, and offer some analysis on master cylinder with "constant" of 6 to 1 pedal ratio and 100 psi being applied at pedal
3/4" master cylinder = 1359 psi
13/16" master cylinder = 1158 psi
7/8" master cylinder = 998 psi
15/16" master cylinder = 870 psi
1" master cylinder = 764 psi
1-1/8" master cylinder = 603 psi
The less output pressure the greater the leg workout you get trying to stop the car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts