Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I want to get an electronic fuel pump but, im not sure what size to get. This is my first time with old cars. Here are the specs on the motor I have for my 63SS:

--Engine--355 SMALL BLOCK BALANCED. 4-BOLT MAINS. TRW FORGED FLAT TOP PISTONS. CHEVY "CAMEL HUMP" CAST IRON HEADS WITH 2.02"/1.60" VALVES & 62 CC POLISHED COMBUSTION CHAMBERS. CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS ON SCREW IN STUDS. 700 CFM DEMON CARB. HOOKER FENDERWELL HEADERS, CERAMIC COATED. CAM SPECS: 521"/523", 309/319 DURATION @ .050". SOLID LIFTER CAM REQUIRES .022" LASH. SINGLE PLANE EDELBROCK INTAKE MANIFOLD

--Drivetrain-- MUSTANG II FRONT END WITH 11" FORD GRANADA ROTORS & NEW BRAIDED LINES. TH350 3-SPEED TRANSMISSION. 9" FORD REAR END WITH 3.80 GEARS & A DETROIT LOCKER. 3RD MEMBER BUILT BY CURRIE. NARROWED REAR SUB FRAME TO ALLOW FOR INCREASED BACKSPACING & WIDER TIRES. WELD-IN SUB FRAME CONNECTORS. REAR DRUM BRAKES. WELD DRAGLITE WHEELS. IDIDIT TILT STEERING COLUMN. THE CAR ORIGINALLY CAME WITH A 2 SPEED POWERGLIDE.

These are specs the guy gave me about the motor and drivetrain.
Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
I may catch some heat over this one but I think Holley blue pumps are junk. I remember when everybody would run them but these days it seems that quality and reliability have gone out the window with Holley fuel pumps. I went through 3 Holley blue pumps in 4 years, each one either stopped working or started leaking. It's a running joke at my track, someone has fuel pump problems we all say they must be running a Holley blue pump. I'm sure somebody will have something bad to say about any pump but I've had my Mallory on my car for about the last 5 years without one single problem.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My carter s/s electric has been on my car for probably 12 years or more but replaced it with a cheap mechanical recently and it runs better and is quiet now, unless you like noise id stick with a decent mechanical pump, JMO.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I may catch some heat over this one but I think Holley blue pumps are junk. I remember when everybody would run them but these days it seems that quality and reliability have gone out the window with Holley fuel pumps. I went through 3 Holley blue pumps in 4 years, each one either stopped working or started leaking. It's a running joke at my track, someone has fuel pump problems we all say they must be running a Holley blue pump. I'm sure somebody will have something bad to say about any pump but I've had my Mallory on my car for about the last 5 years without one single problem.
I don't want to jump on the bash wagon, but I had a Holley red pump that lasted about 10 years. It went bad and I replaced it with a new blue pump. It lasted about 2 years and the one I replaced it with went bad after another year or so. The new pumps weighed about half as much as the old pump, the motor and casting were not near as strong looking and had much less material inthem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i agree with the older holley pumps you got what you paid for. now days you get half of what you pay for. if your dead set on an electric pump i would look into either a mallory 140 or a BG 280. i used to run electic pumps on my chevelle but about 6 years ago i went back to a mecanical pump and it works great. dont get that drone from the pump and dont have to wory about it going out. im running the HP mech. from holley. on my Nova im runing a BG 400 elecrtic pump to keep up with the high fuel demand of a drag motor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it seems alot of people are against electric fuel pumps...what are the good things about them? what are the bad?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like my electric pump, just not Holley pumps.

One good thing about electric pumps, way back in the day when I was about 17 years old I was driving down the street and my throttle stuck wide open. I tried to turn off the car with the key but the ignition switch failed and the car stayed running accelerating down a busy city street. The only thing that saved me that day was the fact that I could turn off my electric pump and eventually the car died. I know that's an extreme example but that's why I like my electric pump.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Mallory pumps are nice and they are quiet. the 110 should be plenty. Even the 70 is enough for 450 - 500 HP

·
14,584 Posts
I have the blue pump on our 72 and it works fine. However it is very noisy and we have the isolators mounted also. I have a Mallory 140 on our 69 and it is much quieter than the blue pump, but it is still noisy.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
im running a blue pump and i question it all the time my fuel pressure jumps around a lot it never stays put :no: could this be the pump going bye bye :waving: :waving:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts