Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the Nova (1969) yesterday and took it for a short trip around the neighborhood. When I got home, it would not start again. I jumped the solenoid (I have an external Ford setup) and got what sounded like the actuator moving to complete the circuit, but no starter action. Funny thing is, there is no "click" when the ignition is in the "ON" position - only when it's "OFF". There are no lights, gauges or any other electrical activity anywhere. Nothing works. Battery is fully charged. I rewired the car several years ago, and everything has worked without incident since. The last thing I want to do is go in and replace the ignition switch. Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
The "external" Ford relay doesn't replace the solenoid on the starter. The starter solenoid has to work to actuate the starter. To begin with, I would check the voltage at the horn relay/alternator to see if the fusible link in the battery charging wire is good. Next I would check any connectors on the firewall that may conduct the raw 12v to the lights and ignition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts