Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: electrical questions on 66 nova!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

electrical questions on 66 nova!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to get familiar and learn something with electric system! Just replaced 1 year old redtop optima battery that went to 8 volts when put under load at autozone with their tester!With old battery car would click,click,click but when charged for 5 or 10 minutes with 10 amp charger it would start right up! Car would start several times then same click dead battery condition!ALL connections clean and tight and also have moroso shutoff switch in back.Bypassed ignition switch with remote starter switch on selonoid to starter and same click so i assume ignition swich is good! They checked voltage at trunk mounted battery with car running and had 13.53 volts! At non running it showed 12.52 volts! So today i brought down old optima and they gave me a free replacement since it was 1 year old! Installed and car fires up fine and hopefully fixed problem.Picked up digital voltmeter there also for 20 bucks as i would like to have for trouble shooting! Car starts up with sometimes a 25 amp reading on the interior mounted amp meter gauge but will come down to 5 to 10 amp reading in less than a minute! Electric fuel pump using relay mounted in trunk to battery and when not hooked up amp meter reads about 5 amps less! Running 100 amp 1 wire alternater powermater and do not have the old external regulater hooked up any more!Showing 12.52 volts at horn relay and alt. with car off.One thing that did not look right is with moroso shut off swtch off,i still showed .2 volts at horn relay and alt.!Starter is 2 month old unit from advanced auto! Just looking for anything that does not look right while trying to learn a little on the elecrical system!Sorry to ramble on so long and any info or advice is greatly appreciated as always! thanks much, AL (11.64 at 115.5 best 1.54 60 foot street strip 327 5 spd.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
seems ok

Lets see hear If i remember correctly from hi school auto shop the minimum voltage a fully charged battery should drop to under load is 10.5 volts.The primary purpose of the battery is to start the car after that the charging system takes over a 25amp reading dropping to 5 amps seems normal as the battery was drained when starting the car.Once he alternator recharges the battery as determined by the voltage regulator then it would tapper off and amps should drop just enough to run all accessories and keep battery charged.Im assuming you are running 1/0 battery cables from the trunk.Also you didnt mention your compression ratio .Hi compression motors require more amps.Ive had great sucsess with a permanent magnet starter from national Nostalgic Nova.As for the increased amperage reading with the electric fuel pump on thats also normal because youre increasing the load.Personally I like to stay away from amp guages inside the car because they require full battery amperage and are a possible source for an electrical fire.Conversely a voltmeter is very safe and very informative,I hope some of this can help you out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be going to a voltmeter as someone gave me similiar info as you and motor has 9.8 compression with 175 lbs. cranking comp.! Running 00 welding cable for complete battery wires. thanks much for info, AL;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts