Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electric Water Pump HP Gain

For you guys that switched to a billet electric water pump, what ET, HP, etc did you gain just from removing the parasitic loss?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
For you guys that switched to a billet electric water pump, what ET, HP, etc did you gain just from removing the parasitic loss?

I gained bout 50hp going to an electric water pump but I found that the darn extension cord kept unpluging before I could get to the end of the quarter so I dont now how much faster it was:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would say at least 5 to 8 hp gain. When I changed mine on my BUICK it picked up 1 mph in the 1/8th mile and lost 8 to 10 pounds of nose weight. My old pump was a stock iron long bb pump.

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
I read an article on the amount of power it takes to turn the fan and water pump. The best I remember some fans require 30hp to turn at 6000 rpm. So if remove the fan and water pump at the same time that could make quite a difference. I can tell on my 04 GMC when the clutch fan kicks in.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I was running a basically stock 375 HP 396 with a 400 turbo and running 12.20 ETs back in the 70s. Belt broke sometime during a run and it picked up to like a 12.10 and I have been running electric water pumps and under drive pulleys since.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
One horsepower is equal to 746 watts. Let's figure 50% efficiency in the electrical generating system and we are using the top of the line Meziere 55 gpm pump that draws 12 amps nominally. 12 amps at 13.5 volts is 162 watts used at the pump. If your system is 50% efficient, it takes 324 watts to generate that 12 amps. 326/746 = .4343 hp. To drive the Stewart DRV-8 pump at 55 gpm would require about 0.2 more horses, according to their chart.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here is my experience, when I had the 327 in my car running 13.10 with a best of 13.0 I was running the mechanical h2o pump, mech. fan and power steering. I swithced to elec. fan, moroso elect drive for h20 pump and put a manual steering box on. No other changes at all and car ran 12.50's and best 12.43 and mph went from 102 to 106 which is the best indicator of hp increase. So the only thing that was running off of the crank was the alternator.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In addition to picking up a hp or two, a really practical advantage to running an electric water pump and fan is that you can keep them running between rounds to cool the car down. Very handy here in the hot South, especially in the late rounds when there's not much down time between passes.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Is an electric water pump practical for sunday driver street use?
great question - also how much do electric pumps cost and is it worth the money? what I mean is, if its like $400 or something, one could take that money and go to a roller cam instead and see a much bigger gain.

the economy is too bad imho (for many of us) to be spending that type of money for that type of gain. just saying

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It seems to be more critical on lower power cars--Steve Magnante would remove the belt for the fan/water pump on his slant 6 Valiant and shave 3/10's in the 1/8 mile.
I've run electric pumps and fans since 1998 and driven many thousands of miles--I had a seal go bad on my first Moroso old style pump (that I got used) and it quit moving enough water to keep the temp down, but I was able to limp home. With a new seal installed it's fine (and Moroso sent the seal kit free, even though it was about 10 years old) Other than that it's been trouble-free. I run a cheap Pro-Form now and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here is a good question, can you run an electric water pump with a pro-charger? I am asking because I know you have to eliminate the water pump pulley and I dont know if the blower pullies will accomodate the blower belt without one :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
can you run an electric water pump with a pro-charger?
Yes, No, and maybe. It depends on how it's mounted, and which model it is.
On my friends Nova that had an existing tube chassis downbar in the way, he had to fab all the mounting brackets to clear, then he made a remote mount for his existing electric pump because there were too many things in the way, other applications work without modification.
You can't see the pump in the photo, but it's on the passenger side with braided hose going to billet adapters to the water outlets on the block.

·
Registered
199 Posts
elec water pump on street car

i've run a cheap proform elec h2o pump and elec fan on 400hp+ street car almost 3 yrs now works great hot day traffic jam no problem, winter bump fan turn on temp up works fine

·
Registered
438 Posts
I want to second the ProForm water pump. It looks very similiar to a Meziere, which I'm sure is an outstanding pump, and costs much less. I've been running my ProForm pump, I want to say 3 or 4 years now without a single problem. Great water pump and its actually a battery saver when you consider before I was starting my car several times between rounds to cycle cool water through.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just purchased a CSR Polished electric pump for my 406. I love it and yes they can be driven on the street quite well. They claim these pumps will drain an average size swimming pool in under 4 hrs. lol
I know of a few friends racing theres, that they picked up some et aswell on there electric pumps. Only complant i have heard is that they might push alittle to much water for a street car meaning it pushes to fast through the radiator to give it time to cool but no problem here.
The only reason i went with a CSR is its about 3/4" shorter and cleared my electric fan better i like the look of the Meizere better but after getting the CSR i love it quailty peice and it was around $300.
And they are low draw amp peices aswell great stuff!

And yes the proforms look tempting in the price dept. buttt the the internals are not the kind of quailty of stainless peices. and are prone to wear alittle quicker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts