Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to an electric water pump back in 2017 and the car has been sitting for a year. Now I have electrolysis that ate through the water pump. Just checking to see if there is a solution to avoid this. Yes the engine block is cast iron and the water pump is aluminum but it is gasketed. It the WP is prewired with a two wire plug.

·
Registered
545 Posts
But since it happened once... You're going to need to flush the **** out of the block and radiator. Non-acid based chemicals only. Oh yeah, and make sure you don't have a voltage draw on the battery after everything goes back together.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I switched to an electric water pump back in 2017 and the car has been sitting for a year. Now I have electrolysis that ate through the water pump. Just checking to see if there is a solution to avoid this. Yes the engine block is cast iron and the water pump is aluminum but it is gasketed. It the WP is prewired with a two wire plug.
I've got an electric pump too and no sign of this. Do you have a separate ground wire from your block to frame? How about a pic if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So lets see, yes I only had water in the system and I have read other articles on electrolysis will be inhibited/stopped with correct anti-freeze. I do have solid grounds from the engine to the frame, i think 3 places. The relay is grounded as well. Will need to check if I am getting voltage draw off the battery for some reason, for now I am just disconnecting the battery when the car is sitting. I have the new EWP on order and i will post some pics of the condition tomorrow. Appreciate all the good feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pics show the electrolysis on the pump and one of the ground wires block to frame.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You mentioned that the pump is a 2-wire? That means the electric motor has a dedicated ground wire and does not use the pump housing as a ground, in theory, right? A shot in the dark here but maybe check continuity between the pump ground wire and the housing, with the plug disconnected. I suppose this will at least verify that the pump motor isn’t grounding through the housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
I've heard of people using a sacrificial radiator cap with an anode in it. This doesn't explain why the electrolysis is occurring, and the reasons above all seem plausible. But what it's supposed to do is be the focus of any electrolysis and corrosion to protect other parts of the engine if an when a cause can be found.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
just a quick question was the water distilled ? Also if I remember naval ships in storage have the same problem. I can't remember exactly ,but when storing there is a DC charge sent through to remove any impurities or oxidizers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts