Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is probably second nature to most of you, but I have a smple gauge wiring question on my '62. It's my first time putting aftermarket gauges in and I'm trying to keep it simple. I have an electric temp sender gauge, Autometer brand, that I'm wiring up. I have the sender wire hooked up to the S terminal so far. I need to find a place to hook the gauge up to a "switched" 12v ignition source. I really don't want to splice into wiring if I don't have to. What is the best, simplest, safest place in the factory wiring to hook it up to? I noticed the fuse block has some spade style connectors- I included some photos. Is that a good spot? Or? Also, for grounding it, the instructions say the engine block. Can I just run a wire screwed into the dash frame somewhere? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can use the ACC terminal on your fuse block as longs as it is a 12v switched terminal. You can test it with a volt meter or test light. It should have 12v when the ignition switch is in the 'on' position and 0v when ignition is 'off' position.

Note: you will want to put an inline fuse on that wire coming off the ACC terminal off the fuse block.

As far as the ground wire goes it is not totally necessary to go right to the engine block. Look under the dash there will be factory ground wires attached to the dash or other metal points. You can crimp a ring terminal and attach it to one of those points.

Hope this helps :yes:

Good Luck with it:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I know it's pretty low voltage, but what's a good amp rating for the fuse to use?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the response. I know it's pretty low voltage, but what's a good amp rating for the fuse to use?
Autometer recommends a 4 amp fuse for there short sweep elec gauges. If you are using at least 18ga wire and for how short the run of wire will be, you can just run a 5amp fuse and it will be fine.

I use a 10 amp fuse on mine but I have 8 gauges all ran together. I am running mechanical gauges and the wiring is only for the lights on the gauge.

Here is a link to Autometers page

Read the very top paragragh in the link.

http://autometer.com/productPDF/1079A.pdf

Good Luck on it:yes::D

·
Registered
654 Posts
On another note keep an eye on the nylon line going to the back of your oil press gauge. It is common for those nylon lines to leak oil. IMO I'd replace the nylon line with a braided one. But if you chose to keep it just take a peek under there every now and then to insure its good and tight. :D

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Good Autometer info!
And yes keep on eye on the nylon line!

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great info. Yea, I plan to replace that nylon line for the oil pressure gauge in the near future after I get the engine running and broke in. I really don't trust it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts