Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the point where i need to install my fuel system.
my question is to bypass or not to bypass. I can by a pump with a bypass at the pump or i can bypass at the regulator. How are you guys setting up your cars? this is going to be a drag car only.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I run an Aeromotive pump with a Mallory regulator. I actually run both a by pass line at the pump back to the tank as well as a return line from the regulator back to the tank. I static pump a gallon of gas to the carb in 15 seconds with this set up. At rest both the by pass and the regulator return lines are flowing fuel to the tank. Been running two years with no problems so far. I had to add fittings to my fuel cell to do this but that was pretty easy. RM

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real McCoy said:
I run an Aeromotive pump with a Mallory regulator. I actually run both a by pass line at the pump back to the tank as well as a return line from the regulator back to the tank. I static pump a gallon of gas to the carb in 15 seconds with this set up. At rest both the by pass and the regulator return lines are flowing fuel to the tank. Been running two years with no problems so far. I had to add fittings to my fuel cell to do this but that was pretty easy. RM

RM,
would that system work with just 1 bypass? either at the regulator or pump?

What do you think that system cost?

Did you use braided steel line? and what size -10AN or -8AN?

What kind of filter?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The instructions said it would work with one by pass but I liked two better. I used teflon lined braided hose size 8 for both lines with a #6 from the pump by pass to the tank. The A2000 pump was like $325. and I used a Comp Plus filter rated at 330 GPH which was like $50. if memory serves me right. Got it all from Doug Herberts cause he is just up the road and I wanted it that day so I could go race that W/E. I had been running a Mallory 140 but it couldn't do the job with this motor so when I figured that out I needed a fix ASAP. RM

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Real McCoy

a gallon of fuel in 15 seconds? what in hell's creation do you need to feed a gallon of fuel in 15 seconds to? you do know at the current price per gallon...ha ha. all kidding aside, it sounds you have a solid fuel delivery system with maybe poor regulation. wonder how many times hydrocarbons can be compressed, heated, expanded, cooled, before they become less benifitual? are you pumping a great amount of suds? let us say warm fuel is less fuel. kinda like saying cool air is more air. thermal dynamics. is this drama or important? thinking caps now...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have no problems with my system that I'm aware of. No foam or excessive heat generated that I can detect. Almost everyone I know who races runs about the same design system as I do with decent results. I run a BB 468 with a 850 Holley which makes a little over 750 HP and a gallon in 15 secs was in the shop not under accelleration. The mallory pumped a gal in 25 sec and wouldn't supply the carb. RM

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would you say $1000 is about right for a fuel system.
pump, regulator, filter, braided steel lines, fittings?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
SUPER_NOVA_71 said:
So would you say $1000 is about right for a fuel system.
pump, regulator, filter, braided steel lines, fittings?
I just re-did my fuel system with 8AN braided line. I got a 20ft roll for $90 and a 6ft roll for something like $20. Each straight hose-end was about $3, with the 90* hose-ends about $14 and the 45* hose-ends about $12. The Summit hose-ends are easy to assemble.

You'll also need AN to NPT adapters which are about $3.

Draw out a diagram on paper and figure out what you'll need. I doubled the amount of fittings to make sure I didn't miss something and will just return them. The pump will obviously be the most expensive part.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I'd say 600 if you have a cell already and 700 if you need everything. Shop around for sales too. RM

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Yeah, I saw Barry Grant's fuel flow checking method. Even tried it myself:
Take the carb feed line off and put it into a gas can that has markings for each gallon. Use a stop watch or whatever, turn on the pump and time how long it takes to fill one gallon. Mr. Grant has configured a way to determine how much horsepower your fuel delivery system will support by timing the gallons per second (GPS) delivered. Screw gallons per hour (GPH), that sounds slow.
Mr. McCoy's top shelf system does 1 gallon in 15 seconds. For comparison, my old Holley 'standard' did a gallon in 30 seconds flat. Now, 15 seconds may not sound like much time to SOME PEOPLE. According to Mr. Grant the diff is 800 vs 400 HP supported.
When we talk carbs lets not beat up our needle/seats. They're just little guys with a big job. Do anything you can to help make them happy. Feed them well with a smooth steady diet. And try not to upset their sorry asses.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The carb sees pressure not gallons per anything. 7 PSI is 7 PSI at any flow rate. Whether you agree with BG or not the fact remains that my engine at 757 HP had a serious consistancy problem with a gallon in 25 seconds. The car would run the same ET dead on for 3 or 4 passes, then either drop 4 or 5 numbers or it might pick up 4 or 5 numbers with the exact same 60 ft times and MPH. It was driving me crazy two years ago. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, got a gallon in 15 seconds and the car is consistant and wins races. I made more money than I spent to race last year. Don't under estimate what a decent fuel system can do for you. Many people get by with less and a few even win alot of races but if winning is your goal, use what you need to get the job done. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
yep, I agree

was just trying to give support in my 'round about way:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts