Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, next question. If I am going to install an electric fuel pump on my BBC, do I leave the fuel pump rod inside when I put the block-off plate?:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
It is up to you. It will drop down and not touch the cam unless you hit some hell of a bump or turn it over but why would you want to leave it in there in the first place. I guess it would not get lost that way if you ever want to go back to mechanical.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. No, I was told by some guy that it might need to be there to help hold the cam in place or something like that:confused: . It did not make any sense, but that is why I knew you guys could help. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
lol hold the cam in place? either he was trying to pull your leg, or he's just one of those guys who spouts off crap just to sound smart..

it wont be holding anything in place floating around in there :)

Go tell that guy you took it out and your cam fell out of your motor haha. He'll probably say "i told you so"

·
Registered
101 Posts
i think for curiousity sake he should just leave it in there.. and then write a detailed reply of all the things that went wrong :(

haha.. just buggin ya :D take that thing out !! Hell i dont even run one with my mechanical pump..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D lol:D Thanks for the help. I just got the fuel pump yesterday. It is an Aeromotive 1000, and geez, that thing is huge compared to the Holley Red I used to run.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
MNYPIT said:
:D lol:D Thanks for the help. I just got the fuel pump yesterday. It is an Aeromotive 1000, and geez, that thing is huge compared to the Holley Red I used to run.:eek: :eek:
That Aeromotive A1000 is a good pump! I spent some time at their assembly building on they're fuel pump dyno and was pretty impressed with their stuff.

·
Registered
101 Posts
im trying to grasp this electric fuel pump thing.. people always seem to go with a pump twice as big as they need spec wise.. are the manufacturers just lying? or do people just go overkill?

H/O Pump: For carbureted powerplants making 200-600 HP, without the use of a separate fuel pressure regulator. Similar to the popular S/S fuel pump, but internally regulated down to 7 PSI, the H/O fuel pump is ideal for carbureted, high output street cars and mild race cars alike.

Flow volume exceeds 550 lb/hr or 90 GPH at 5 PSI.

thats the pump im looking at.. is there any reason to go with a bigger one? im not going to have any 600 hp.. this one looks perfect for what i have..

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I feel like the manufacturers give you the pump capacities with a car sitting in the shop. In the racing world the car is accelerating rapidly , we hope, so the weight of the fuel in the line, G forces of the car accelerating, and things like that all attack those specs. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jinks said:
im trying to grasp this electric fuel pump thing.. people always seem to go with a pump twice as big as they need spec wise.. are the manufacturers just lying? or do people just go overkill?

H/O Pump: For carbureted powerplants making 200-600 HP, without the use of a separate fuel pressure regulator. Similar to the popular S/S fuel pump, but internally regulated down to 7 PSI, the H/O fuel pump is ideal for carbureted, high output street cars and mild race cars alike.

Flow volume exceeds 550 lb/hr or 90 GPH at 5 PSI.

thats the pump im looking at.. is there any reason to go with a bigger one? im not going to have any 600 hp.. this one looks perfect for what i have..
I was hoping I did not need a bigger fuel pump, because the one I had was almost new, but I am going to be running a 454 with forged everything and a D1SC Procharger and 12 pounds of boost. Procharger told me that I would need that pump because I also eventually plan on adding a Intercooler and raising the boost. I don't know how much horsepower it will make, but I pray that I will be happy with it and not want to go to a bigger Procharger system for more power, but you guys know what that is like.:p

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Definetly need a big pump with a blow thru boosted apllication. Need to be able to compensate the fuel pressure rise with boost. A fuel pump is an area I always try to get people to overkill on. I burned up a motor due to a small pump so I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jinks said:
so for an NA engine running 450-550 hp the normal street/strip aeromotive pump should be fine? is anyone here running one?
I'm running an A1000 w/ my F1r setup. You would need at least that big of a pump. I wish I would have went even bigger and got a Prostar 500. Do not skimp on the fuel pump, the only mechanical pump that can handle any boosted app. would be the quickfuel race pump.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Kinda like HP, tools and toys!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts