Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out which fuel pump to get, I am planning on running a 540 ci BBC in my pro street 64 nova. This is going to be mostly street but will hit the track a couple times a year. My goal is with pump gas 600 HP and a 200 shot of nitrous. I am looking for a pump that will be reliable and somewhat quiet. The two pumps I am looking at are the barry grant 220HR with a bypass regulator or the edelbrock quiet flow performance pump. I just wanted to see if anyone is running either of thease pumps and it you like them plus what is the best kind of fuel line to get steel, braided or alum?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run a BG400 at half speed thru their stepdown box, and it's more than enough for the engine and nitrous. I used to run a separate BG220 just for the nitrous, but I loaned it to someone and never got it back. The 400 has been on the car for 10 years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am running a Magnafuel 275 pump with a Fuel Curve West regulater. The regulater is the key as far as I am concerned. It's feeding 2 750 dp holleys on a 650 horse motor. Even when I get to the other end the pressure still reads 6psi. With the 2 stage regulator the needle and seats last longer also.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I am running a Magnafuel 275 pump with a Fuel Curve West regulater. The regulater is the key as far as I am concerned. It's feeding 2 750 dp holleys on a 650 horse motor. Even when I get to the other end the pressure still reads 6psi. With the 2 stage regulator the needle and seats last longer also.
Wow! Two 750s? That's a lot of carburetion. For novaray64's application, the 220 he was talking about would be adequate for the 600 hp of his BBC, but just to be safe I would run a separate pump for a nitrous shot of 200 hp, or more. If he's looking for one pump to do it all and regulated up front, I would look for something around 300 gph, continuous duty.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i would stay away from the 220 HR pump. we have had some bad luck with presure drop on just the N2O kit. i also run a BG 400 for both the motor and kit. if you want to stay with something smaller i would rec. the BG 280.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a BG400 at half speed thru their stepdown box, and it's more than enough for the engine and nitrous. I used to run a separate BG220 just for the nitrous, but I loaned it to someone and never got it back. The 400 has been on the car for 10 years.
I am looking at the BG400 with a stepdown box, this way I wont ever have to mess with the fuel system again. I am assuming that with less voltage at idel to the pump it will be quiet and last a long time with street driving? Anybody got any pics of there fuel system

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I am assuming that with less voltage at idel to the pump it will be quiet and last a long time with street driving?
It is much quieter on low, and it has lived a long time (L.A.-Nashville in 99)
BG doesn't even advise using the 400 on the street, but they set me up with the stepdown box when I was running their injection system.
My car is loud enough that pump noise isn't a concern, but I think the 400 is less annoying than an old Holley blue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts