Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to isolate the noise caused from mounting a Mallory 5250 to the trunk floor pan. Besides just stuffing rubber between the mount and pan, any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
How about mounting the pump to a bracket using rubber washers, then mounting the bracket to the trunk using rubber washers again?

Anybody got a rubber washer? I usually throw mine away once they get dirty :D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Mount it to something else. The floor acts like a big bass drum and amplifies the noise. A frame rail or roll bar will help but as posted, electric pumps ain't quiet. RM

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Real McCoy said:
Mount it to something else. The floor acts like a big bass drum and amplifies the noise. A frame rail or roll bar will help but as posted, electric pumps ain't quiet. RM
That's exactly what the floor is doing, making it worse than it should be. I know electrics are going to make noise, but this is gonna drive me nuts.
I used one of these;

to isolate the bulkhead fitting from the floor pan and it helped a lot. I had the bulkhead tight on the pan and made hella noise. I'll get some pics up, maybe someone will see something that may help.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Here's a pic of how mine is mounted. I used a piece of aluminum angle. The pump is shimmed with a rubber strip as is the bracket from the trunk floor.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
dave copied my bracket:p but thats how i got mine too. i used a strip of tire from a dirt track car cut the same shape as the bracket and sandwhiched it between the bracket and the bottom of the floor. got it pretty quiet.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
jacobgiles said:
dave copied my bracket:p but thats how i got mine too. i used a strip of tire from a dirt track car cut the same shape as the bracket and sandwhiched it between the bracket and the bottom of the floor. got it pretty quiet.
Nah, I CNC'd that bracket myself :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mounted the electric fuel pump on the frame just in front of the tank..It is solid mount and yes you can hear it. That pump is a temp setup so it wont be there very long. Since I do a lot of hotrod diesel stuff ...I bought a custom FASS system that will replace the current fuel pump. We use this syle of pump to replace those failing lift pumps on the 24v Dodges... This pump can either be used in the push location back by the pump or even in the pull position even as far away as the engine compartment.

Rick

·
Registered
9,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I must be deaf and didnt realise it....hello....tap...tap...tap..Hello...hmmm.....I heard that....:rolleyes: ....anyway.....My Nova has had an electric fuel pump longer than I have owned it...its always been hard mounted(no rubber bushings) to the floor right in front of the tank and the only time I can hear the pump is for the few seconds it takes to prime the carb before I start the engine....once the car is running there is not a chance in hell that I can hear it....so seriously....when exactly are you hearing this thing that it can bother you? Your exhaust cannot be that quiet that you can hear it when the car is running....can it?

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
Mine is extremely loud when it's running. Mine died over the weekend I think I am going to switch to a mechanical pump. My first red Holley pump lasted 15 years, this blue pump died at less than three.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
Mine is extremely loud when it's running. Mine died over the weekend I think I am going to switch to a mechanical pump. My first red Holley pump lasted 15 years, this blue pump died at less than three.
are you saying that you can hear the pump OVER top of your engine when the engine is actually running?

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
are you saying that you can hear the pump OVER top of your engine when the engine is actually running?
Not in my car; but from outside the car standing behind it you can hear it mixed in with the exhaust note. Mine is/was very loud, I think it was doomed from the start it's the third Holley pump I have owned and it has been twice as loud as any other one since it was new. I been messing with hot rods for a long time and this pump has been louder than any I have encountered. The regulator was noisy also; it chattered on the firewall and whining of the pump was extremely annoying. I adjusted the regulator and it quited down but the pump still makes noise.
Now the pump acts like it's dead. My car died on the way home from a show yesterday. It wouldn't run or restart; so I pulled over and let the pump run 1-2 minutes without the car running. The car restarted no problem; then it dies again and I coasted to the next stoplight and it started and ran again. I kept doing that for 5-6 blocks till I made it home. I got under the car and pump was barely making noise. I tapped on it and it didn't change; it wasn't hot or even more than warm to the touch. I took the garden hose and sprayed cool water on it and it instantly started the high pitch whine. Then the car idles fine for 10-15 minutes before it would die when the bowls went dry.
I'm going to pull the pump and check the brushes and look it over. I think I might go to a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seattle_Mike said:
Hawk 1, where did you find the feedthrough bushings/rings? Those look good for running battery cables through as well.
As Mike said they were from Summit. They carry various sizes and not just the -10 size I used. Neat item when needed.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
Not in my car; but from outside the car standing behind it you can hear it mixed in with the exhaust note.

Ahhh...ok that makes sense then...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts