Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have a Holley 12-801-1 (Red) electric fuel pump on my 67 with the stock fuel tank and pickup tube. I want to replace it with something quieter than the Holley. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with either the Mallory 4110, or the Edelebrock 1791? They are both electric.
:( I know, I know, everyone will ask why don't I just use a mechanical pump, but everything is allready setup, and I really have never had any trouble with the Holley pump except the STINKIN NOISE!!!!

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Is your Holley pump isolated from the mount? I've used gasket material between the pump and the mount to help prevent some of the resonance from being transferred through the car. A piece of sheet rubber or urethane is a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your Holley pump isolated from the mount? I've used gasket material between the pump and the mount to help prevent some of the resonance from being transferred through the car. A piece of sheet rubber or urethane is a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump.
Yeah, it's isolated with rubber mounts. The noise is the pump itself, not from vibration. Like I said, I haven't had any trouble with it, but I was looking for something quieter.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Use the Carter P4600HP or P4601HP or P4070 depending on your needs. They are extremely reliable and mount in a special bracket insulated with rubber that comes with the pumps.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Yeah, it's isolated with rubber mounts. The noise is the pump itself, not from vibration. Like I said, I haven't had any trouble with it, but I was looking for something quieter.
OK...the quietest electric pump I've used was the Aeromotive 1000. For what it's worth. Then again, I'm used to the BG 400 and MagnaFuel ProStar fuel pumps to the point that I don't think they're loud at all. :eek:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have used a Mallory 110 for a year and a half with no problems. It will cut the noise in half from a standard holly.

Vin - the last A1000 pump I heard sounded like it was ready to take off......

·
Registered
81 Posts
fuel pump question

I am running a Holley red pump mounted under the car above the rear. I am still using the stock 3/8 pick up tube so my pump is above the tank slightly. It works fine so far am i going to have problems? Have not run tank down low yet.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I ran the same pump in my 70 nova, mounted it by the tank above the rear axle. worked fine. shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Electric fuel pumps

So I'm new to electric fuel pumps.I always ran block mount mechanical or belt driven. My buddy gave me a brand new Holley Blue and regulator to put on our project and thinking I know everything,I mounted it on the passenger side fenderwell. Kept it as low as I could keeping it vertical. Plumbed and wired all nice with pushlock and -8AN. Fire the car up and all seems great in the shop but another friend tells me I have to mount the pump at the tank. He says it will create air bubbles sucking the fuel that far. So before I go re-routing all the work that I just did and spending more $$$ on more fuel line and fittings,can I get some feedback from you guys that have "been there,broke that"? Stats: 13:1ish,377,mech roller,235cc runners,205/160(I think),Pro Action steel heads,850 Double pumper.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just found the other threads on this subject. Looks like I messed up and need to bite the bullet. Might just go with mechanical,just when I thought it was coming together.........

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
its easier for the pump to push the fuel rather than to pull it. Thats' why the pumps are mounted in the back close to the tank. And it helps keep the pump primed and quick delivery. If you decide to run a mech pump look at holley's race mech pumps. they put out 120gph. There is one that has a -8 inlet and outlet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks.I drained all the old gas out and flushed the lines before I hooked all this up and it started pumping right away,like it already was primed.Seemed like it got fuel to it by itself no problem.I've run the Holley,Barry Grant,Carter pumps for years,then switched to KSE belt drive for Methenol. I had one mech. pump go bad during a race and leaned out a good 406,that's why I switched.This electric was free and new,thought I would try it.I see your in Sunnyvale,you going to Santa Cruz the 13th?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Im sure a pump can live upfront as I had an electric way in the front and it worked well but its also when my car had 150hp.

I use pushlok hose it is VERY easy to work with and I heard it lasts longer than steel braided hose.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think I'm going to test this system before I change it. Not planning on taking it to the track until the cage is in.Just cruising for now.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The holley blue pump is a tried and true reliable pump. Dont go and switch to a mechanical. Just relocate the electric pump when the time comes. You already have it and they are good pumps (loud but good) :yes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have ran a blue in the front before with out any issues on a 12.1 408 sbc the pump seemd to work just as good in the front as it did in the back. your system should be fine. my buddy has a blue mounted in the front of his 56 ford pickup and hasnt had a problem niether so i wasnt just a fluke.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have also been very pleased with my holley blue fuel pump. Been on the car for 8 years. I have mine mounted in the rear.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I know two guys running the blue pumps in the front. Leave well enough alone if it's working. IMO.

Kev

1 - 20 of 21 Posts