Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sensor in my electric fan kit came as a 1/4" NPT so I need an adaptor for the 1/2" NPT in my small block intake. After picking one of those up it occurred to me that it only allows about 1/4" of the sensor to be exposed beyond the adaptor. What do you cooling experts think about that? Is that enough exposure into the coolant to get accurate performance from it?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
yo Mike :

YES

I think even if the sensor were flush …. (just my thought).

you can check with an IR temp-gun ….. kinda, like a back-up .

and, who's too say any-temp-sensor reads "perfect , anyway" .

on my 69 --- I have basically ; Three "temp indicators" ---

one - S/W mech. water temp dash gauge

one - direct mount (thermos housing) MOON temp gauge

and, still have my dash - idiot light indicator .

plus - I doo carry my I R temp gun --- if I think I have problems .

"Fan On ---- Fan OFF" (wax on ……………….. ect) .

that's just me …………… jim

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yes, it will be enough to sense the temperature. The sensor and everything around it will be the same temperature.

(Thanks , Mike ) .

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes, it will be enough to sense the temperature. The sensor and everything around it will be the same temperature.
Good ol' thermal bridging...assuming surrounding metals are of similiar characteristics. Im fighting with myself bout pulling cooling temp sensor from cylinder head on my lsx swap. Lots of guys arent. Im gunna try to trust the factory design.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hey Ryan ..

can you post an-up-date Photo of Your Rocket Ship ------- er, Nova

don't ask why …. but …. 65's 'turn me on'

(car wise, I mean) …. jim

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Lol, yup, coming soon...i took several pics last weekend as all the wiring is being wrapped up. They are just boring looking so to speak. Kinda hard to tell what your looking at. But this was a total rewire from scratch. AAW classic update kit and the Holley Domiator EFI. It was defly alot of work, but Mike has nailed it! He s very focused n has the patience for this kinda stuff. I simply do not. But the Vintage Air system is complete also. Stay tuned!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts