Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have electric fans on my 72. They're flex-a-lites, but the temperature switch is broken and so the fans are on constantly. Not only is it annoyingly loud, but it's running my car around 140 all the time which is too cold for my taste. I'd like to find a switch and keep the car around 180-190 can someone help me track down a good deal?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Which model fans are they?

And do you know how many amps they are pulling?
I had 2 in my car but went back to mechanical with a clutch fan. I had been thinking about just keeping the one fan wired to come on with the ignition and then the other with the temp sensor in it so they were on different circuits in case one crapped out. You can get those sensors just about any parts store and are very easy to install. If you wire them like that it will also prevent the fans pulling all your starting amps in the morning.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't have an amperage gauge so I have no idea. I guess my real question is whether or not I can just get any switch and have it work. I have no idea what model the fan is other than it's a flex-a-lite brand and I would assume 11 or 12inch fans. Do I have to get a flex-a-lite switch or can I pick up anything. This isn't really something I want to spend a bunch of money on.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
switch

I have the same fan and it lasted about a month before it started staying on all the time. So I put a on and off switch on the system. But, I will have to watch it close this summer.

tnealp

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I don't have an amperage gauge so I have no idea. I guess my real question is whether or not I can just get any switch and have it work. I have no idea what model the fan is other than it's a flex-a-lite brand and I would assume 11 or 12inch fans. Do I have to get a flex-a-lite switch or can I pick up anything. This isn't really something I want to spend a bunch of money on.
I think any fan switch will work. There are a bunch of them out there, just pay attention to how they're wired.

I have a low price one on my El Camino, been there for 8-9 years or so... All the switch does is turn the fan off and off at designated temperatures.

They make them with sensors that are located in the radiator fins, that run off a stand-alone temp switch, and that run off the stock/factory temp switch or back of the gauge if you desire.

Also, some can run dual fans, starting one up at a lower temperature and switching the second fan on at a higher temp. I installing dual fans on my '67 and am looking at the Dakota Digital to run both, but haven't made up my mind at this time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dlc you cleared up a lot for me! But can someone help me maybe find what's best for my application. I have dual fans, so I'm not sure if I should get one that will control both separately or not. I don't really know what temp I should get either. If anyone can help what they think I should get that would be great.

The car's just a 350 with a stock radiator. Dual fan. Daily driver. Never been to the track, but a little street rompin'.

Also, here in about a month in a half it will be in the low 100's for at least a month or two. Good ol' California.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Thanks dlc you cleared up a lot for me! But can someone help me maybe find what's best for my application. I have dual fans, so I'm not sure if I should get one that will control both separately or not. I don't really know what temp I should get either. If anyone can help what they think I should get that would be great.

The car's just a 350 with a stock radiator. Dual fan. Daily driver. Never been to the track, but a little street rompin'.

Also, here in about a month in a half it will be in the low 100's for at least a month or two. Good ol' California.
Be sure you run a relay between the fans and the controller. (You can see my relays in upper right hand corner of the picture of the radiator - two for fans and one for electric water pump).

Some controllers, like the SPAL, there is a built in (internal) relay for the primary fan and you have to provide an external relay for the secondary fan. Others, like Dakota Digital, you have to provide external relays for both fans.

You'll also have to decide what kind of temp sensor you want: one that goes in radiator fins; separate screw in; or use stock sender (requires you to calibrate the controller, i.e., Dakota Digital).

My current thinking on my car is to go with a Dakota Digital, using the gauge sensor and to turn on the first fan @ 170-175 deg and the second fan @ 185-190. It's going to be a high output street small block.

Relay wiring diagrams are usually provided with each controller, you can also go to the web site of many of the controller vendors and they have install manuals you can read before you buy - at least SPAL and Dakota Digital do.

Here are a bunch of controllers from Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Ntt=fan+controll&Ntk=all&Nty=1&D=fan+controll&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartial&Dx=mode%2Bmatchpartial&searchTerm=fan+controll

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Dakota Digital has a controler that will control each fan motor, turning each on a your preset temperatures. It will also cycle one or both fans for AC. Best of all, it will work off most electric gauge sending units. If you have an Autometer, VDO, Stewart Warner etc electric gauge, no additional sensor is needed. So far, mine is working great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kind that was on there now is screwed into the water pump. Anyone use anything like that? It worked good while I had it, but it just quit on me.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Tim, does that controller run dual fans, i.e., turn one on at a designated temp and then the other one? I like how compact it is and looks like it can easily be mounted under the hood.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Tim, does that controller run dual fans, i.e., turn one on at a designated temp and then the other one? I like how compact it is and looks like it can easily be mounted under the hood.

Thanks.
Yes and no I am running two fans. But you can only set to come on at a set temp and both come on. And I have mine under the dash.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I was asking how many amps are being pulled....

Because a lot of the switches, temp controlled switches, relays are only rated to so many amps. Make sure first before you potentially fry something. Not worth buying stuff twice, always go big if not sure. Usually 15-30 amps is what your typical dual fan pulls a piece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts