Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a 350 in my 74 Nova, went to Oriellys and got a radiator for a 350. At running speed it is 175 degrees but when I stop it begins to overheat (185-190). My car currently does not have a shroud, but an upgraded radiator fan.

Do I need to upgrade to a larger radiator (maybe an aluminum) and a electrical fan? And if so, any pointers on the brands and type of electrical fan.

Devin

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Put a shroud in first before you do anything else. That should solve it.

What kind of fan are you running? You may need to change that as well.

Electric fans are neat but come with a whole bunch of other costs such as upgraded alternators, etc. You would still need a shroud with the electric fans.

ray

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
185-190 is not overheating, it's actually the preferred operating range for most engines.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
185-190 is not overheating, it's actually the preferred operating range for most engines.
^^ X2 ^^ I run a 195° thermostat and it stays just under that most of the time. With the A/C on in 100+ heat, it goes to about 205° when sitting at a stop light. That's pretty normal.

Actually, I think you should try to get the temperature to stay up around 190°, the engine will run better (more power, more responsive) and your fuel economy will improve.

The fan shroud is a good idea, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put a shroud in first before you do anything else. That should solve it.

What kind of fan are you running? You may need to change that as well.

Electric fans are neat but come with a whole bunch of other costs such as upgraded alternators, etc. You would still need a shroud with the electric fans.

ray

Ok. I have been searching for some shrouds but have come up empty (most look like it won't help pull in air, more half faced rather than a full radius). Any brands in particular or websites?

The fan I am running is a Flex-A-Lite 5700 Series, just one from Oreilly's. Up graded from previous straight six fan blade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts