Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new aluminum radiator with shroud and fan for my street Nova. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or sugestions on the best way to hook up the juice. With switch or always on with key or try some kind of themostat. I got it all from Jegs as a package so a themo may be available. Just thought some of you guys might have come up with a better than average plan. Thanks
Lance

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
It only takes one time forgetting to flip the switch to toast the entire works. :eek:

I'd take 72's advice and do the thermostatic switch & relay setup and let the fan on/off worry about temp all by itself. Wiring in an ON override switch can be done later on though, if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
ive got my electric fan wired so that when i turn the key on, the fan comes on...
it only takes one time for that thermoswitch to not work and you not paying attention to melt some heads....

i know when i turn the key to on....i hear the fan, i start the car...i dont hear the fan....i find out whats wrong....just my opinion....wire it to the ignition switch...

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
1965proSTREET said:
ive got my electric fan wired so that when i turn the key on, the fan comes on...
it only takes one time for that thermoswitch to not work and you not paying attention to melt some heads....
What if your fan motor goes bad and doesn't come on? Or what if your thermostat gets stuck closed? What if a radiator hose comes off while driving and you lose all your coolant?

My point is, let technology do it's thing. Buy quality parts where you can and trust them.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I pulled a thermostat housing from a mid-80-s Firebird (two temperature switches on the housing for polution control crap), and a handful of relays when at the local wreckers along with a couple of Taurus fans.

Then I picked up a couple of temperature switches (185 degrees and 205 degrees) and wired up two relays in parallel for each speed of the fan, and also added a toggle switch under my dash which would turn on low speed. While at it I also added LED's, one for low and one for high. One comes on when low speed is on and then the other comes on when high speed is on.

A few rolls of wire and a considerable amount of time soldering and running wires and voila.

If interested I can send you the part numbers of the temperature switches and the wiring diagrams. Just email me at
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
72Orange said:
What if your fan motor goes bad and doesn't come on? Or what if your thermostat gets stuck closed? What if a radiator hose comes off while driving and you lose all your coolant?

My point is, let technology do it's thing. Buy quality parts where you can and trust them.
the fan motor can go bad whether its wired to a thermo switch or not...
with it wired to come on with ignition, you can hear if it does come on or not when you turn the key on...also, rad. hoses bust. that can happen either way as well...and theres not a chance that my thermostat will stick closed....its slightly modified....:D
ive seen and heard from several buddies who tried the thermostat switches on their radiator and condensor fans...sometimes in the hot texas summertime, their fans never kicked on...they were qualty fans, and switches and wiring....they switched back to either a on switch or directly to ignition switch and everything has been a-okay since....
technology is good an all, i just was giving my opinion...you probably are a super firm believer in electric gauges as well, and i prefer mechanical...its all in your own best interest...

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all for supplying the info. Thats the stuff I wanted to hear. New ideas, good points and things to think about, and thanks for the link.
I hope to do the work this week end if I don't spend all my time working on the drag car(thats the red one at photobucket) the Blue is getting the new cooler. I should have went to this at the start, before I wasted about 75.00 on a different fan and new themo clutch Oh yea and a shroud I can't use now so make it 100.00 or so.:eek: :confused: Will let you know how it goes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts