Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice and hopefully my description is clear

Spal 16” electric fan

Standard auto-reset 30amp breaker connected directly to battery, runs to relay to power fan, controlled by temp sending unit mounted in head port.

I did not purchase my alternator, but it appears to be a 100amp unit (1-wire)

While driving, once the temp switch is triggered, the fan will run for a period (not cool to set point) and shut off, then turn on again and run for bit, shut off again, then repeat. Never cools to lower limit.

Now, if the car is not running, just switch on, the fan will run continuously until it reaches cool point and shut off...like it should

Why when running would it act up? Alternator issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
180 degree thermostat. I am not having an overheating issue, and the fan cycling is not temperature related

It's not cycling because it gets hot and then cools it down, and then is immediately hot again

It appears the fan kicks on and runs and then there must be an overcurrent that trips the 30AMP auto-reset breaker. It auto-resets and then the fan runs for a bit and then shuts off

Why would this condition exist when the engine is running only? If you drive around and coolant gets above the temp switch temp, and then shut the car off, turn ignition switch on, the fan will run continuously until it cools the system down.

I just do not understand why the issue happens only with the car running. Maybe my fan is drawing more than 30amps and I need a 40amp auto-reset breaker

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Just a thought - I am wondering if the fan is free wheeling in one direction when driving then the fan kicks on but it has to turn in the opposite direction thus creating an overcurrent draw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts