Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at electric fan wiring kits and have some questions..
Is it better to have a probe type to check temp at radiator or a screw in sensor type to check from intake. Also, would I be better off with an adjustable unit or one that just turns on & off with sensor.
I have been looking at the Painless wiring kit with screw in t-stat 200* on 185* off and the Perma-cool adjustable kit 160*-210*..
Need help, tired of running hot.
Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i just bought a black magic extreme fan..love the fan..

it came with a box and a probe..i like this just because i can turn the dial to set it too come on sooner or later, plus you dont need to run a relay in addition to this..i have mounted tight next to the radiator and dont have any wires running to the motor ( cleaner look )

i had a perma cool fan with the thread in sending unit and it worked good, but i had to relay the fan..i set it up to be a grounded circuit

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
My fan was on a toggle switch. I bought a kit with the relay and temp sender; I like it much better. It comes on at 180 and seems to make a difference. My sensor screwed into the head and goes on right at 180 by the guage. I had saw the ones that have a external sensor on a radiator hose. I liked the look of the screw in sensor better it looks cleaner and I think it would work better.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i thought i'd be creative and wired a switch with probe at the upper rad hose area.it cycled on and off whether car was running or not.car ran @ 200 degrees.
burnt out 2 switches and just about cooked a great motor and finally just wired it to ignition with a relay.turn out it runs cooler now (190 degrees) .when i discussed with my mechanic buddy , he reminded me that a regular fan doesn't turn on when the ign is off and it probably maintains the cooling system because it starts cooling immediately and doesn't wait for a certain temp.also you may laugh,but i run 2 honda civic fans behind an alumin crossflow and it works great.cheap fans,easy to find,and they move alot of cfm's.thx,cj.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info.
I think I'm going to go with the painless kit, it comes with relay and about every thing I need. Looks like a pretty good kit.:)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I have not had good luck with temp sensors :(

I had one that went in the fins, was not accurate, did not kick on at low enough of a temp is was suppose to be 180 it would kick on at 220!

I then tried a screw in one. It was defective, would not create a good ground thru the switch (it WAS grounded to the block properly).

So I said screw it and have the relays come on when the car is in the run position. Since my BB heats up so quickly and I only use it in the summer It works great. This way I don't have to be concerned with a temp switch going out and frying my engine.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
pete66 said:
Thanks for all the info.
I think I'm going to go with the painless kit, it comes with relay and about every thing I need. Looks like a pretty good kit.:)
Greetings,

I have the Painless kit hooked up to my dual 10" Flex-A-Lite fan setup and it works perfectly, is easy to install, and looks clean under the hood as well. I think you'll like it.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts