Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys educate me and hopefully others...I know didley about fuel injection.

Take my ZZ4 "fastburn"crate motor for instance, what benefits would I get by going to an aftermarket efi, holley, eddy, accel, whatever verses a carb?
The car runs solid 12's as is, gets maybe 12 mpg at best, but is still very drivable. Would performance improve or worsen with efi? Milage of course would be greatly improved or am I wrong on that?

Assume I know nothing about fuel injection, which is pretty much true, in your responses.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you really want to improve mileage, put an overdrive transmission in. EFI will help economy, but the engine will still make 385 HP with a carb or EFI.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The cost of an aftermarket EFI system would take years to pay off in terms of fuel economy gained. If you drive your car like I do, which is not very much, it would take even longer because you're driving fewer miles.

The real advantage with EFI is computer control and tunability. There's a lot of spark and fuel control on an EFI'd car that a carbed car simply can't achieve...especially at part throttle and lower in the RPM range. The other nice thing is that an EFI'd car will start a lot better when cold than a carbed car ever will.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a nicely tuned carb either :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah the question is how much do you drive it? Im putting a carb on my 350 and that car will be driver mostly every day ( Just dont have the money to drop on a EFI system) Also you just cant beat the look of a carb on these old cars thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Lets see, advantages, cost, tune-ability, appearance (for some) fix-ability on the road, old school look. Oh, those are the carbs positives.

I have EFI and love it. A whole lot of positives. Fuel mileage is one, fuel smell, doesnt smell like the lawn mower Hhahah, great starting, instant throttle response, exacting tune-ability, altitude changes dont affect it, possible higher compression ratio and other stuff I just cant think of. Basically its just a better way to meter fuel into the engine.

Down sides, cost and alot of the positives from the carb side are negatives for EFI. When yer broke down a EFI system can be a bear to track down the causes. A carb is easy, it can even limp you home with a failure. And every corner parts store can get you home one way or another with a carb. Might need some AAA help with EFI..

But three of my five cars (all junkers) have EFI so its part of the family. My one car with a weber carb gets finicky if I dont drive her much, it likes to have the fuel flowing!! JR

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have efi and I love it ,,,,, but I didn't notice any gain on fuel mileage. at all. it starts great when I step up to mega squirt it has the capability to tune way beyond a carburators dreams. it was tough to sort out the tuning but now I love it, very crisp throttle response. but i wouldn't recommend switching with any high hopes of better gas mileage I think I am so happy because "I" did it and I was efi stupid to start out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This question has been talked to death. There will always be folks on both sides of the fence. It comes down to personal preference. Don't buy it if you are just looking for fuel economy. An overdrive transmission 'will' give you a bigger return on your investment if that's all your looking for.
If you choose to go with EFI & set it up yourself (and really get into it, like me) you will be surprised at how knowledgable you are on the system when you are finished. (When we finished adding EFI to my dad's truck, he could stump most of the local mechanics on EFI tech. Keep in mind, I said mechanics. Not automotive technicans. There is clearly a difference.) But knowledge is power. Read for yourself.

Despite its higher initial cost of entry and reputation for fussiness, once EFI is set up properly, no Dominator or Q-jet can come close to the driveability, reliability, lack of maintenance, and consistent performance EFI delivers. EFI also offers reduced emissions and improved gas mileage (for those of you who care about that sort of thing).
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0504_standalone_efi_systems/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/carburetor_vs_injection/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0308_efi/index.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts