Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a 350 in my nova and this intake was on it. i dont know anything about it is it like a old school performer? i have a preformer intake would it be the better of the two for a street car, im more looking for a peppy 350 that will get good gas milage but get up and go when asked. :turn:

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Car Craft compared the two several years ago. The manifolds produced the same HP, but the Performer did way better in the torque department. If you make better torque down low, you'll get better gas mileage since the engine doesn't need to work as hard to get the car moving.

To sum it up: use the Performer manifold. Sell the other manifold to a collector.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car Craft compared the two several years ago. The manifolds produced the same HP, but the Performer did way better in the torque department. If you make better torque down low, you'll get better gas mileage since the engine doesn't need to work as hard to get the car moving.

To sum it up: use the Performer manifold. Sell the other manifold to a collector.
ok thanks for the info, the 350 originally came from a 69 chevy truck. i would like to know if it has a hot cam in it but i dont have anything to compare, to i got a vacuum reading of 20hg a 1000rpm(the choke was on if that changes anything) i dont know what that really means because i dont have anything to compare to:confused: if someone can fill me in i would be most happy:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
the SP2P was a gas mileage intake... it has very small runners, wacky turns.. and a spread bore flange.....

Most of those intakes were sold to daily driver type cars in a feeble attempt to gain some mileage.. in the late 70's and early 80's.. they had a very short run as intakes go...

I would take to a swap meet and stick a 1000.00 price tag on it for conversation...:devil:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the SP2P was a gas mileage intake... it has very small runners, wacky turns.. and a spread bore flange.....

Most of those intakes were sold to daily driver type cars in a feeble attempt to gain some mileage.. in the late 70's and early 80's.. they had a very short run as intakes go...

I would take to a swap meet and stick a 1000.00 price tag on it for conversation...:devil:
hahaha!! thats a good idea and maybe some might buy it:eek:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I remember several "packages" for sale when the speed shop was open.(texas performance) small rv type cams, the SP2P intake and hedman and dougs headers that were 1.25 to 1.5 primaries with 2.5 inch collectors..... along with the Holley Economaster 4bbl carbs...

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think I still have one of those SP2P intakes. These came out during the second oil embargo of the late seventies. Gas rationing, lines at the pump, no gas Sunday's. Inflation was up, interest rates in double digits. Dark days.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i dont think were to far from days like that:bored: maybe i should hold on to it... but the performer probably does better

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im having a hell of a time getting the carb to tune right with this intake its getting close to removal time. i am getting great gas millage better than when i had the 305

1 - 12 of 12 Posts