Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just ran all my spark plug wires underneath my Hooker Super Comp headers and noticed that my 90 degree spark plug boots were really close in a few spots to the headers. I was thinking if I had a shorter plug, it would help. Current plug I'm using is an AC Delco FR3LS, or I have used the NGK R5671A-9. Looking at the Edelbrock website it says the plug should be the Champion RC12YC. I've had the plugs in those heads for years so I don't remember why they were chosen. Real question here is does anyone know of a shorter plug that would work well in this application. Street/Strip car.
Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah I've been reading about them but most of the feedback isn't that great. I will certainly look at them, hoping to find something from AC Delco or NGK.
I've been using Accel shorty plugs for years now, absolutely no negative effects at all. This is with warmed over stock heads though.

I've known several other people that have used them as well in mildly modified SBC applications, never heard of an issue. What sort of problems did you read about?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
use a plug chart from the various manufacturers to ID the specs of the plug your using/what's recommended and compare threads, sealing area, type of tips, length etc and pick a plug...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My local Autozone carries the Accel shortys on the shelf. Compared to the AC plugs they are about 1/4" shorter from the tip to the seat. So I'm talking the installed length. Not a whole bunch shorter...but it might give you just enough. I use the accels and don't have any problems with them.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
another note... if you remove a plug and look into the plug hole, when the heads are manufactured and the plug holes are machined, SOME HEADS are not only machined for a Gasketed plug but also to accept a Tapered seat plug...

look/see/confirm the heads and you can possibly use a tapered seat plug...

the RV12YC plug is a tapered seat plug that is "Slightly" shorter than the RC12YC plug...

i have ProTopline heads and the RV12YC's are what i run...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using Accel shorty plugs for years now, absolutely no negative effects at all. This is with warmed over stock heads though.

I've known several other people that have used them as well in mildly modified SBC applications, never heard of an issue. What sort of problems did you read about?
Hearing in forums how they foul easily.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hearing in forums how they foul easily.
I don't think it's the plug's fault specifically, probably something more like this:

if the engine is running rich or lean it's not hard to ruin a spark plug...
:yes:

It's also possibile that some people who have switched to the short plug have used one that's not the ideal heat range or gap for their application, thus leading to fouling with a tune that seemed to work fine on their previous plugs.

I've had the current set of Accel shorties in my engine since 2010, they are still running perfectly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I finally received the Accel #0414S plugs today and they are the exact same size/length as the plugs I've been using which have been the AC Delco FR3LS and the same as the NGK R5671a V Power plug I have also used?

I called Accel they say that is the shortest plug they make.
I called NGK, they say the R5671A is a standard size race plug, nothing shirt about it.

I'm lost.
Is there a shorter plug out there than either of these, and if not, then some people have mentioned that if you can find an NGK or AC Delco that is short like the Accel then to go with that, well the above models appear to be just that.

I also mentioned in my thread that I had read that the Accel plugs were hit and miss and the response was that most people had no issues over the years of owning them and jetting could be the culprit, etc.... What I found upon looking into that was that Accel used to have their plugs made in Japan and as of late they are made in Czechoslavakia. Apparently a large Auto parts store I deal with claims they see lots of returns on the 414S.

Just sayin...

Tony

·
Registered
682 Posts
So I finally received the Accel #0414S plugs today and they are the exact same size/length as the plugs I've been using which have been the AC Delco FR3LS and the same as the NGK R5671a V Power plug I have also used?

I called Accel they say that is the shortest plug they make.
I called NGK, they say the R5671A is a standard size race plug, nothing shirt about it.

I'm lost.
Is there a shorter plug out there than either of these, and if not, then some people have mentioned that if you can find an NGK or AC Delco that is short like the Accel then to go with that, well the above models appear to be just that.

I also mentioned in my thread that I had read that the Accel plugs were hit and miss and the response was that most people had no issues over the years of owning them and jetting could be the culprit, etc.... What I found upon looking into that was that Accel used to have their plugs made in Japan and as of late they are made in Czechoslavakia. Apparently a large Auto parts store I deal with claims they see lots of returns on the 414S.

Just sayin...

Tony
I'm currently using Accel 576S plugs, which are short style. I had been using AC Delco R44TS but the boot clearance was extremely tight. When I put new wires on a couple years back, the slightly different boot design was enough to cause contact issues with the header. This is when I switched to the Accel 576S, which are significantly shorter than the AC Delco R44TS that I had used previously.

I actually bought a couple extra sets of the Accel 576S to have in my personal stock in case I needed them on short notice. I just checked the boxes and these were made in Japan - apparently by Denso, which has also made some of the factory plugs for GM in recent decades.

I don't know anything about their new Czechoslavakian plugs though, nor when the switch was made. The plugs I have were purchased in the summer of 2010. Not sure if 576S and 414S are made at the same plant though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
PS. The Accel cross-reference chart that I printed from their website a few years back shows the AC Delco FR3LS converting to a 416S short plug from Accel, not the 414S. In fact, I don't even see a 414S listed on this document from 2010.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm currently using Accel 576S plugs, which are short style. I had been using AC Delco R44TS but the boot clearance was extremely tight. When I put new wires on a couple years back, the slightly different boot design was enough to cause contact issues with the header. This is when I switched to the Accel 576S, which are significantly shorter than the AC Delco R44TS that I had used previously.

I actually bought a couple extra sets of the Accel 576S to have in my personal stock in case I needed them on short notice. I just checked the boxes and these were made in Japan - apparently by Denso, which has also made some of the factory plugs for GM in recent decades.

I don't know anything about their new Czechoslavakian plugs though, nor when the switch was made. The plugs I have were purchased in the summer of 2010. Not sure if 576S and 414S are made at the same plant though.
As posted I'm using the Edelbrock aluminum heads, they require 3/4" reach. I do not think the 576S is that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PS. The Accel cross-reference chart that I printed from their website a few years back shows the AC Delco FR3LS converting to a 416S short plug from Accel, not the 414S. In fact, I don't even see a 414S listed on this document from 2010.
I did try the 416S and it was the same length as the FR3LS. The 414s was suggested earlier as the plug I should try. Still no luck, no shorter.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hi guys,
I just ran all my spark plug wires underneath my Hooker Super Comp headers and noticed that my 90 degree spark plug boots were really close in a few spots to the headers. I was thinking if I had a shorter plug, it would help. Current plug I'm using is an AC Delco FR3LS, or I have used the NGK R5671A-9. Looking at the Edelbrock website it says the plug should be the Champion RC12YC. I've had the plugs in those heads for years so I don't remember why they were chosen. Real question here is does anyone know of a shorter plug that would work well in this application. Street/Strip car.
Thanks for any input.
Nope. I run the RC12's as well. The #6 plug is near impossible to get to.

·
Registered
682 Posts
As posted I'm using the Edelbrock aluminum heads, they require 3/4" reach. I do not think the 576S is that.
Understood. My point was just that I'm surprised to here there is no length difference in your application, since the 576S is noticeably shorter than the AC Delco plug that it converts to. I thought the same would be true of the 416S or 414S.

I did try the 416S and it was the same length as the FR3LS. The 414s was suggested earlier as the plug I should try. Still no luck, no shorter.
I am not familiar with the FR3LS specifically, perhaps it is already a short plug then? Unless maybe they gave you regular 416 or 414 Accels that were marked as "S" but were actually the normal length version.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts