Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a #1406 600 CFM Edelbrock 4bbl. I just bought it new and i am going to put it in this week ...

I see way more people with holley carbs? can someone tell me why ? what's the differences ?

Thanks,
DuDe

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. I am an Edel fan but I have used Holleys. I like my Edel because I drive my care everyday and its a set it and forget it carb. I don't go to the track anymore because they closed the only track in Hawaii down. So I run the Edel for gas milage reasons. Holleys DP's have power because they run richer. Thats why a Holley will always out perform and Edel. Edels still are great carbs. I love them. But you can bet that I kept my Holley for when I can go to the strip again. It all depends on your needs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh okay sweet. I need the better gas mileage since this is my first car :p. Thanks very much guys :-D!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ditto all above. Having put together several of both, Edel (formerly Carter AFB) is easier to build and seems to stay where you put it. Holleys get cranky and stuborn for me, many friends who have put in more time on them do have less problems than I.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think its all on which one u want. the only differrence to me is that holley has race proven carbs and trusted perfromanc, but hard to tune. edels are way easy to tune and dont have that gay power valve that holleys have that gos out alot. i have an edelbrock, im happy with it, its a 650, the holly i had before was a 650 and felt like it had a lil motre kick to it. liek i said its up to u

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
xc4rx said:
i think its all on which one u want. the only differrence to me is that holley has race proven carbs and trusted perfromanc, but hard to tune. edels are way easy to tune and dont have that gay power valve that holleys have that gos out alot. i have an edelbrock, im happy with it, its a 650, the holly i had before was a 650 and felt like it had a lil motre kick to it. liek i said its up to u
Holleys are easy to tune, and the power valve sometimes blows out when it pops through the carb.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think this is going to become another classic Edelbrock vs Holley Battle. HA. I love cars :D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I only use Holleys for racing applications. For a normally driven car on the road the Holley requires some maintenance that a Q Jet and Edelbrock doesn't plus the Holley chocks are not that great at best. I have always used a Q Jet or thermoquad on normal drivers. Bolt them on and forget them. I can't do that using a Holley. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Let's not forget about Holley's Street Avenger series of carbs. I put a 670 manual choke on my daily driver and am liking it so far, adjust the mix, set the idle and it's working great. I've used Edelbrocks as well, same thing. I have a Mighty Demon for the 'other' car which I expect to be tuning a bit more.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I bolted up a 670 Street Avenger (electric choke) a couple of years ago, set it up initially and haven't touched it since. I love it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you know how to tune a holley its a good carb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts