Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not too familar with carburetors yet, and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I need an intake and carb for the 327 I'm rebuilding in my auto class for my '70 Nova. Since I'm on a budget, I found a couple of intake/carb combos on summit that I'm really interested in. I'm not sure which one to get though. What are the pros/cons of each? Right now I'm leaning toward the Edelbrock since my teacher told me that Edelbrocks are usually more reliable and easier to tune. I'm not TOO concerned about power, just something I can bolt on and go. What do you guys think? Here are the links: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840116+4294925083+4294904152+115&autoview=sku http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840116+4294925083+4294904152+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
You're going to get lots of opinions on this one.

In one camp:
I have an Edelbrock, I slapped it on and it was fine. Great carb.

In another:
I had an Edelbrock, people said I could slap it on and be fine, but it bogged so it must be crap.

In another:
I've had Holley's my whole life and they are SOOOO much better than that Edelbrock crap.

Here's the truth:
They'll both work, especially if you know how to tune them a little bit. I think the Edelbrock's are CLOSER out of the box, but the Holley's have been torn apart so many times that everyone knows how to work with them. It comes out to whatever you're more comfortable with. They'll both be fine.

Kev

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Intake/carb..

If you are really on a budget then try to find a stock Chevy small block intake that is set up for a Quadrajet carb. This was the factory setup on 327 and 350 motors. These manifolds were made by the zillions back in the late 60's and early 70's. QJ carbs of this type can be picked up for cheap...hot tank and media blast the intake and paint it Chevy orange. Get a good rebuilding kit and rebuild the QJ as part of your shop class...I bet if you shop around you can do the whole thing for under $150....let me know if you can't find these parts and I will help.

wilma:shh:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Edelbrock is better for a daily driver and Holley is better for racing.

As far as a buget intake and carb

The Edlebrock RPM intake manifolds are dime a dozen. People often give them away. You could probobly buy a good used one for $25- $30

As far as the carb get a used Holley or eddlebrock or AFB carter.
You could buy a good core and rebuild it with a kit, or get a rebuilt one off ebay , or if you find a good used one

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
it really doesn't matter, they are both easy to tune, i like the edelbrock because metering rod changes are super easy...and i just like the design...

if you go holley, a 4150 (double pumper, whatever), they run a rich rich idle....so if its going to be more daily driven i vote for the edelbrock...

in all reality, it doesn't seem to be a choice but it is my favorite carb out there, yes, the q jet....they probably have the best balance of good drivability and power production...and they are almost universal...you could throw a 750 or 850 on just about any motor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts