Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a recent carb rebuild experience with everyone in case you run into the same scenario.
I pulled the Edelbrock 1405 off the Nova for a rebuild. the car had been sitting for a few years and after getting it fired up, the carb was (as expected) kind of sloppy. I bought a cheap kit off of ebay and tore the carb down, soaked it in Pine Sol overnight (works great and smells better than carb soak), and reassembled it with the new parts. After reinstalling it, it would flood incessantly as soon as the bowls filled. I pulled the top off twice to readjust the floats before I noticed the problem. The new needle/seat valves are milled incorrectly & the needle sits too far down in the seat to contact the float tab. I reinstalled the old needle/seat valves and solved the issue. Now I will need to perform another oil change after all of the fuel flooding into the intake.
Lesson learned (again), you get what you pay for. I hope this saves someone else some headache and frustration.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I always use the brand of carb kit the same as the carb, Edelbrock carb an Edelbrock kit, Holley carb a Holley kit, Q-Jet carb a GM Delco kit. Like you just did I learned my lesson back in the 70's when Jiffey kits were popular, lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts