Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
13,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, only the really old guys like me will relate to this one. Edd 'Kookie' Byrnes of 77 Sunset Strip has passed away at age 86. The TV program ran in black and white from 1958 until 1964. It starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Roger Smith. Byrnes played the parking lot attendant who was constantly combing his hair. 'Kookie Lend Me Your Comb' became a hit record featuring Byrnes and Connie Stevens. He also drove a cool hot rod in the show.
Bob

Kookie's Hot Rod.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
never heard of the show, but that certainly is a very cool hot rod! also, one wildly bent multi-leaf spring, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
(y)(y)(y)
yes, they called it "The Kookie Car" during that time ( and, after the record) . was built after looking at 'Tommy Ivo's' . . ' T - Bucket ' .... . . . . . . . one of the first & 2nd T-Buckets , that started that craze. I kinda always wanted too build a T-Bucket , but never did (I have had my ' Model A ' for over 30 years & yet too hit th' road) .
man, I just turned 71 . . . . & sure would like to see 86 or more . . . . we'll see how that goes . . . . ? ? . . . . jim

·
Super Moderator
3,700 Posts
Apparently, from all accounts, he was one of the ginchyest. Though I'm old, that's a little before me, but worth watching just for that car and all the others that appear on the show.

I'm constantly amazed at the hotrods of the day, with heavy v-8 power plants, very little in the way of safety, and barely existing suspensions. Half leaf springs mated to rear ends or transverse leafs in the front with tons of weight and skinny tires. Those guys dodged injury every day.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Roy Brizio just finished a complete restoration of the original "Kookie car". It's sitting in his shop awaiting transport to the East Coast

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Thanks for the picture . . . . . That's it !

How many can say their car - - - "Hot Rod" - - - made the cover of ' Life Magazine ' . . . . . Norm's T-Bucket did ! ! !

( remember that - Bob ? )

·
Super Moderator
3,700 Posts
Man, just the chrome and polishing bills for that restoration would be a killer. Can't imagine going too too many miles in that seat with that steering wheel position, but it wasn't built for comfort.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Brizio only uses Sherm's Plating. Sherm's might be the best in the country and priced accordingly.
Graboski was a big boy and used to routinely drag race that thing.......not sure how.

·
Registered
413 Posts
"Two cool shorts standing' side by side...."
Enter twangy guitar....
And over and over and over again in my head for the rest of the day now. o_O
VERY cool pic, Alf. Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, haha! That's certainly twangy! (and cool too) but I was thinking (and still thinking dammit) Beach Boys "Shut Down".
Now I got two tunes running around my empty head!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Hi John

Those are very cool pictures : That's TV Tommy Ivo's other t-Bucket ( Buick Nail-Head motor) .
Story that I have heard was ; Norm G. would sneak over to Ivo's garage too look at TV Tommy's Bucket . . . so as too kinda copy that car.
I use to have that "Life Magazine" cover picture with Norm Graboski and all the 'beer bottles' .
( Looks like TV Tommy in the other car, also ).

probably - - - Hot Rod History - - - in this photo . . . . . . Thanks for posting , jim

ps. - - How Did u'r DF-17 work out ? ? I'm using mine , works good .

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Okay, only the really old guys like me will relate to this one. Edd 'Kookie' Byrnes of 77 Sunset Strip has passed away at age 86. The TV program ran in black and white from 1958 until 1964. It starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Roger Smith. Byrnes played the parking lot attendant who was constantly combing his hair. 'Kookie Lend Me Your Comb' became a hit record featuring Byrnes and Connie Stevens. He also drove a cool hot rod in the show.
Bob

View attachment 398230
Remember that show very well..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts