Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked some tubular control arms off ebay for about $270. I also have a set of qa1 coilovers to go with my set up. Now im trying to put everything together and im a bit confused about how everything is supposed to line up. The control arms seem like they are supposed to line up in a different location and the angle is weird. Im new to this so maybe i dont know any better. Could someone tell if this is right? The coilover dont line up as well

Control arms

20200510_153027.jpg
20200510_153037.jpg
20200510_154259.jpg
20200510_154616.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after reading over the ebay listing i found some conflicting info. They state that the arms fit any A body. But i was under the impression that the novas are x body. I sent the seller a message and u hope to get this resolved asap
Screenshot_20200510-161714_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,482 Posts
A-Body ebay tubular control arms usually have a gold colored cross shaft with no inserts.

Your control arms look correct for an X-Body (3rd Gen Nova), but it looks like you have the lower tubular control arm installed on the wrong side of the car... lower arm in your photos should be on the drivers side. IIRC, the red bumper on the lower control arms should be closer to the front of the car... under the sway bar (yours is closer to the back of the car). Below are a couple images of the correct installation.

Your upper control arm looks like it is installed on the correct side of the car.

P.S.... If not done already, it is also highly recommended that you replace the ball joints that come with the ebay control arms with high quality replacement ball joints. There are several post throughout many car forums that discuss the inferior quality of the ball joints that come installed on the ebay tubular control arms.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I hope that helps my situation. I will switch them now. When i was installing i wasnt too sure about let and right.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
As RifRaf stated, the lower control arms are installed on the wrong sides. The red Bumpstops need to make contact with the landing point welded to the chassis.. It will be obvious when you push the lower control arm up to the chassis and see the red bumper is on the opposite side of the spring cup..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man yall saved me. I was losing my mind. It sucks if i have to change the ball joints. That wa ms one of the main reasons i got this setup. Oh well. They are cheap for a reason
20200510_171735.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Now that that had been addressed and corrected. Is there a base adjustment for the shims on tbe upper control arms. When i got the car the whole front end was tradhed. No shims or anything. The car was a hassle. Bolts falling out and the steering coupler bolts fell out. So i cant even turn right now.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Is there a base adjustment for the shims on the upper control arms.
There is really no "base" adjustment for the shims used on the upper control arms... each car will be different (my Nova required a different shim pack from the left side to the the right side on the upper control arms).
Once you are done putting the entire front suspension together and the car can be driven, you really need to get a front end alignment.

Putting a couple shims on the front and rear bolts holding the upper control arms (as shown in your photo) should be enough to get you to the alignment shop.

Below are some recommended alignment spec when you take your car to an alignment shop.
Castor
Driver: 5° Positive
Pass: 5.5° Positive (.5 more to help with road crown drift)
Camber: 1/2° negative (both wheels)
Toe in: 1/16"

Don't use stock alignment specs for a 1974 Nova... as they were meant for bias ply tires.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It sucks if i have to change the ball joints. Oh well. They are cheap for a reason
You don't have to change the ball joints... it is just recommended to do so.

If you do decide to change the ball joints, I highly recommend that you install the Proforged 1/2" taller upper ball joints (along with Proforged... or Moog... or other quality name brand regular lower ball joints).
The 1/2 taller ball joints installed in the upper control arms are going to improve your camber gains (provide a negative camber gain) while the suspension is under load during a turn.
Proforged Tall Ball Joints 101-10016
This is what I did when rebuilding my front suspension. Below is a photo of my rebuild with tall upper ball joints. Note: I added a piece of black heater hose (prior to installation) to cover the exposed portion of the ball joint stud between the boot and the steering spindle - see arrow.

While your at it, you may also want to think about changing your tie rod ends to "Taller" tie rods ends... as this will help with the "bump steer".
Proforged Part# 104-10529

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Ill do that. Theres a firestore around the corn
There is really no "base" adjustment for the shims used on the upper control arms... each car will be different (my Nova required a different shim pack from the left side to the the right side on the upper control arms).
Once you are done putting the entire front suspension together and the car can be driven, you really need to get a front end alignment.

Putting a couple shims on the front and rear bolts holding the upper control arms (as shown in your photo) should be enough to get you to the alignment shop.
View attachment 404464
Ok. Ill do that. Theres a firestone around the corner from me. Ill ask them if there able to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts