Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I just can't get comfortable with the rear sump pan on a street car, but I'd really love to have a 3.75 stroke engine. Wish there was an elegent front sump / oil pump solution that would clear a long arm crank. :(
Check out the HD front sump parts poll in Best of Tech.
I've been working on an "elegant solution" for a long time but there's some realities that have prevented it from happening.
I've designed some parts (gerotor pump and shaft) that require tooling which would make them very expensive to produce in low volume and there is not enough demand for high volume production. Face it, if there was demand for good front sump pan somone would have already done it. The reason is the front sump is backwards for anything with a stong engine in it. Why build a big inch stroker if you can't nail the throttle for fear all the oil will slam away from the pickup.

I'm working on some new stuff that may be a compromise between pan capacity and ground clearance. The main thing is I don't want to lose performance so it won't be easy.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Face it, if there was demand for good front sump pan somone would have already done it.
I realize that there is low demand, and I'm sure demand won't be increasing with the proliferation of front clip swaps on CIIs.

As for front sump being all wrong... this is probably true for a strip car, but is this really a practical concern for something on street tires? Of course, I guess you could always make the arguement that street tires are worthless with a 383/406 in a light chevy II anyway, so you might as well stick with a stock pan and a 327/350. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You can run a front sump on the street. Fords have been doing it for years, but it's diametrically opposed to the reason for adding cubic inches
The front sump really makes sense with a road racer or street car that can brake harder than it can accelerate. Adding cubic inches tips the G force equilibrium more to the back. That's the whole reason for adding cubes. To accelerate faster.

With all the problems required to make the front sump pump and pan clear a stroker crank, it's not worth the trouble and expense.

The Chevy II has many design issues that have been solved by the after market. They may not be cheap but they do work.

The after market front chassis clips add a heaping measure of safety, handling, better engine packaging and you can use off the shelf conventional pans.

The next best thing is the Canton, Moroso or Milodon notched pans with the stock clip. It may cost about $300 but it's still cheaper than the clip swap.

The Ebay pans are cheap but judging from the pickup I looked at, they aren't a bargain at any price.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The after market front chassis clips add a heaping measure of safety, handling, better engine packaging and you can use off the shelf conventional pans.
For the most part, this is true, but I'll disagree on 'safety'. Nothing inherently 'unsafe' about a stock GM suspension with disc brakes, and I'd even go as far as to say the basic framework just may be SAFER, since it was engineered by GM. Not saying all aftermarket stuff is poorly designed, but I'd wager that the GM stuff has a lot more testing and design work behind it than many of the clips out there.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hey patman, what pickup did you get? I see they offer "regular volume", "high volume", and "high volume Melling 155 HV with 3/4 dia." I'm not sure which to get that will work best with the PW pump.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Actually, they aren't Melling pumps. Mine are cast in the USA, but as part of my agreement with them I can't mention the source. They were concerned about product liability since I was modifit=ying them to my specs so I have to keep their name out of any discussions. It's the "deepest pockets" rule of litigation. I'm small potatoes but they aren't. I get them in limited quantities but I don't know for how long.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Paul the pan is on its way to you! Shipped it today. Its a little dirty, sorry. Take a look at how high up the drain plug is. There was over a quart of old oil in the pan after it was drained and removed.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Heh...figures. I just shipped THREE oil pans to Paul today (stock, hotzone, canton) He's gonna be *rolling* in 'em!!!
Whoa! I was going to ship mine last week. But we had a death in the family and I missed work all last week. And forgot it the week before. He can keep mine. I have no use for it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts