Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Yes, and I remember how blue and warped it was! I already have Pat's pump here dissasembled. Just need the pickup. I can carefully TIG weld it in place, to the correct height and then surface the cover to perfection.
That's one of the reasons I sent my pump to you...they must've had the voltage cranked up that day!

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I like the Canton pan better than the Milodon, it has more ground clearance plus the windage and scraper, and it says it works with strokers.

I called Canton's tech line today to see if it'll clear the splayed caps. They said the ID of the pan is 7 9/16 at the cap locations. I measured mine tonight, and that's within 1/16 of fitting. Figure in a gasket thickness, and I think I'm good to go.

So...now I'm off to pull together the $ for the Canton pan.

Scooter, thanks for the link to street and track, that is a good price. I am not having much luck finding it anywhere other than direct from Canton and from that site though. Anyone else sell Canton? Anyone buy from street and track before?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Call and ask if they'll do a "Group Buy" for Steves Nova Site members. You get 10-50 guys together they might knock 10-30% off.

btw, your roller cam is shipping out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here's a reply from car shop inc. So far they have the best price, even though they won't discount further. Although I've never heard of this place they responded to my email in only one day, so it seems like it may be a good place to buy from.

Aaron,
Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunetly, we can not discount the parts any
lower. We are a small company and do not have the large margin, like
Summtt or jegs.
We are glad you at least gave us some consideration..

Regards Tim Ryherd

Car Shop Inc.
421 12th street
Moline, IL 61265
http://www.carshopinc.com
[email protected]
1-309-797-4188
Hours 9am-5pm M-F Sat 9am-2pm

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Well, I just placed my order with streetortrack.com. They're in MI and ship via UPS ground, so with a little luck it should be here by the end of the week. Got my fingers crossed that it clears everything...

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Well *that* was quick...

UPS dropped it off at lunchtime. Looks like they did a drop-ship direct from Canton, which is in CT.

I don't have time at the moment to give it a thorough checkout, but I gave it the once-over, and it looks like a very well-assembled part. Welds look nice, and it's made of much thicker metal than the hotzone part. It also has some stiffening beads rolled into the flat bottom of the pan.

Dimension wise it's actually almost identical to the hotzone one. Maybe 3/16" deeper overall, but the sump part is shaped very similarly.

The 30-second mockup test says...fits nice! Doesn't look like I'll have to modify this at all to clear either the rods or the splayed caps.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the dipstick. The description said 'for LH dipstick blocks', so I didn't get their custom dipstick. Turns out the pan rail flange has a kickout on both sides, but the kickouts are flat... There's no way to use the in-the-block dipstick location. So...I gotta go buy one of their dipsticks before I fire it up. Not really a biggie, but I wish I had known/should have asked before I ordered.

Hopefully I can snap a few pictures and post them later tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Much better than that Ebay pan!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Make sure you check your crank scraper clearance three or four times before putting the motor back in the car. I used a non-permanent marker to color the scraper. Bolt the pan on (with the gasket) and spin the crank over a few times. This will leave witness marks on the scraper. Grind accordingly. I had to clearance for throws and rods/capscrews I think.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
With the tilt of the engine in the chassis, it looks like the Canton pan will give up even MORE ground clearance than the 1.5" depth difference compared to the stock front sump. Can anyone confirm?

I just can't get comfortable with the rear sump pan on a street car, but I'd really love to have a 3.75 stroke engine. Wish there was an elegent front sump / oil pump solution that would clear a long arm crank. :(

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yea plain and simple rear sumps with the stock clip are not good for ground clearance. Everything in hotrodding is about compromises. Have an easy good performing rear sump and risk hitting it on something, or run a hard to setup not so good design front sump and drive over all the speed bumps and potholes ya want. Almost anything is possible with time and money.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts