Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I asked him for shipping charges so I could pay pal him. No response.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey paul looking at that site it looks like another company that my dads shop deals with called super sunny in Ca. they only do wholesale i belive but they are the ones who import the stuff and resale then . The stuff on e-bay i have seen for sale from many other places all match the discription in the super sunny catalog. One thing is do know is I bought a pan a few years ago for a third gen and it was supposed to be 8 1/4 and i spent the time to tig a pickup together using another pan around the hosue foe mock up to findout when i got the china one they must measure different than we do because the thing was 9 1/2 in deep, so i sold the thingto a buddy building a prerunner that had the clearence. Just watch out for the depth it may not be the same as it is said to be

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
When I was a powertrain components buyer in my past life, the Chinese speed parts were just coming online. The price was low but the dimensional quality was poor.
It's kind of like buying running shoes. Often a size 10 was really a size 9 or 9.5 depending on who's foot they used. That's why I ask for the pan's actual dimension when I set up the pick up.

I'm thinking of maybe doing an oil pan/oil pump comparision dyno test later on.

Stock front sump vs Ebay pan vs Milodon pan vs a Voodochkin style pan vs a yet to be designed PW pan. That's easily about $800 worth of testing!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Ok, I haven't got the donated Ebay pan yet but I do have the pickup that Patman sent me for his pump. If the pan is anything like this pickup then it's no wonder they can sell it for so cheap. The bracket isn't even welded on square!

Patman: Let me know what you want to do. To make this one even fit, I'd have to cut off the bracket and re-weld it.

However, the tube has two "repair" spots and the inside is rusty like some old iron plumbing. I'm not sure how long in vibration it would live without cracking. If I can't get all the rust out, the grit will eventually shake loose and ruin the bearings. I might be able to replace the whole tube but it won't be gold.

Take a close look at your EBAY pan. If it's screwed up like this, then (IMO) it's a losing battle. My advice is to get the Milodon pan. I think I have one #18310 pickup in stock.

Let me know asap. I'm on vacation Friday. I can send the cam, shims and pump with the 18310 pickup tomorrow. or I can fix and install this pickup but no guarantees. Artie's paying shipping for loaning/trading your cam.
Email me offline or if you want I can call you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Wow.

Who would have thought it? Defective low cost import parts?:)

I have actually had some of the comparable circle track pans with the bolt pattern drilled wrong.

Some warped up so bad they were about 3/4" "tweaked".

I would use the Milidon as well.

Good luck guys

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was afraid of this. Still interested in what you think of the pan when you get it. The Milodon or Canton pan is looking better and better though.

-Aaron

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Yow! I never looked inside the pickup, good thing you did!

No, I don't want to try to run that one, guess I'll be in the market for a new pickup at least, and possibly a pan too. The pan looks good, though after seeing the inside of that pickup, I'll give it a closer going-over.

email forthcoming...

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The Ebay pickup looks like a poor copy of a Moroso pickup, but I'm not sure the exact PN you'd need. If they copied the pickup then maybe the pan is a copy of the Moroso 20211 6 qt pan. That calls for a 24120 pickup. Maybe just buy the real Moroso pan and pick up but I'd check with them about stroker and splayed cap clearance.

Available Options: No 23000 oil pan baffle; No 25800 crank scraper

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I was afraid of this. Still interested in what you think of the pan when you get it. The Milodon or Canton pan is looking better and better though.

-Aaron
You know I've been working on this problem for some time and there still isn't a good Chevy II stroker pan solution.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Scooter, IMO I'd just save up for a Canton pan. No sense in putting a junk pan on there. There's power to be had from a quality pan with a properly setup scraper, windage tray, etc.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why the Chevy II pan cost more than the conventional SBC pan. Mine was around $300 or so including the pump, pump driveshaft and pump bolt.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I know why Chevy II oil pans cost more. Low sales volume. Conventional pans probably sell at least 100:1. My front sump survey got less than 50 responses. Not a big enough market for mass production cost savings.

You got two options:
Buy an expensive aftermarket front subframe so you can use all those low cost regular parts or keep the stock subframe and pay extra for Chevy II specific parts.

Oh, and Dave is correct about the value of a good oil pan. Oil pans aren't just a bucket to keep the oil in. A good, well designed oil system has significant power benefits. As soon as I get funding to run a dyno test I can prove it.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
So now that I've completely hijacked this thread... :eek: :eek:

The Canton pan says "crank scraper, screen windage tray, magnetic drain plug and a dipstick fitting." Dipstick fitting? I can't use the in-block dipstick location?

I guess I'm liking the Canton pan better, mostly because it's an inch shorter (more ground clearance) and it says it will clear a stroker. Then again, it is more $$ than the Milodon. The milodon doesn't come with a scraper or windage tray though.

Sigh...decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Dipstick fitting? I can't use the in-block dipstick location?
That means it will work with your existing dipstick. You can also get their pans without the dipstick fitting and instead use an oil level sight plug.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The Canton 13170 pan looks promising with built in scraper, tray and it fits stroker cranks. Call the tech line about splayed caps.

You'll need the 20-060 pickup for the PW pump and I'd get the 22-570 oil filter "no bypass" billet filter adapter.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Pat, I had Canton install and weld the pickup on when I bought my pan & oil pump. I think it was $20. They set it up with the actual pan you are buying. I don't have the pickup install tool, so this saved me some time. I did have Paul blueprint my pump though.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Yes, and I remember how blue and warped it was! (Picture was posted in Project Wicked 383)

I already have Pat's new HD pump sitting here dissasembled and machined. Just need the pickup. I can carefully TIG weld it in place, to the correct height and then surface the cover and clearances to perfection.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts