Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an oil pan for my 383 and I like the ground clearance and affordability of the eBay pan, but does anyone know if it will clear a 3.75" stroke?

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether or not a STOCK front sump pan and pump will work with an OEM GM 400 crank and 5.565" rods? Has anyone run this combo without issue?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Oh, you will have issues! The amount of grinding on the short pump is a lot. I've been working on a machining fixture to properly clearnce the pump without weaking it....BUT...I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and expense to use the front sump system with a big inch engine.
If you build a hard launching ChevyII all the oil will go away from the front pickup. Front sump is fine with 350 or less mild apps or road racers that brake harder than they accelerate (then the front sump is an advantage).
We have thread(s) on the subject.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks, Paul. I've seen the threads, BUT I have not seen anyone clearly state whether the problem was only with Scat and other aftermarket cranks with larger counterweights to facilitate internal balance. I would be looking at a 400 with STOCK crank and short rods.

As far as rear sump being better, my car is a street car, and I want the ground clearance. On street tires, I doubt I'll starve the pickup in a front sump.

Where, exactly, does the 3.75 crank / rods hit the oil pump? Is it the rod nut? Counterweight? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I've used a stock front sump pan with a 3.75" stroke stock GM crank and 5.7" rods. As I recall it's the rod bolts/nuts that hit the pump, requiring the side of the pump to be clearanced as well as the rod bolt indexed correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I have one of those pans. I replaced it with a Milodon. The biggest reason was that the drain plug was too high on the pan. There was almost a quart of old oil left in the pan. It cleared my 388 with no problems though.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
67 deuce, how much difference in ground clearance have you noticed between the two pans?

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I have one on my 383. The builder was suprised that he did'nt have to "massage" the pan too much. Just a little ball peen hammering.
Brandon
P.S. It has a SCAT crank and rods

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Is the Ebay pan the same as the Hotzone pan? I need to get one or the other or both so I can be sure the pickups are correct depth. anybody know where they make them? Are these Chinese imports?
How much do they cost?

It sounds like a rear sump pan cut to clear the steering and fits up to 3.8" stroke and has stock ground clearance is what's needed. My modified HD pump is cheaper than a stock, Melling front sump pump. Hmmm...I can get NEW rear sump cores cheap and easy and I have the new TIG welder. Just thinking out loud.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I paid $57 for mine off eBay, $73 including shipping. I have the Hotzone one.

Paul- Would it help if I put mine in the mail to you, and you can check it out in person? (D'oh! Should have just done that in the first place instead of just sending you the pickup...)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
So is the "Hotzone" pan the "Ebay" pan? I can just get one to keep around, if it's the one that everybody uses. Got a link?
I can't beat that price so fuggeddabout me meticulously handcrafting a special pan. They must stamp and weld it up "offshore" at that price.
The American made Milodon Chevy II pan is about $250.
I'd like to dyno test the two pans and see if the Ebay pan is comparable in power.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.hotzoneperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HZ-7480Z&CartID=1

I find it cheaper to buy from their website. The shipping is cheaper. Yes this is the "ebay" pan. There are several other vendors on ebay selling them along with hotzone. They come in black, gold iridite, and sometimes orange.

You can go to ebay and search for chevy II oil pan and down in the ebay stores area you'll see many of these pans.

One thing Paul is the these pans although better than other rear sumps for ground clearance, they still aren't great. I bet you could sell a lot of pans if you made them end even with the centerlink rather than wrapping around it. Have you seen the pan that voodoochikin made? To me that is a great design. The only down side is that it doesn't hold as much oil.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I have one of the E bay pans I will give someone if they will pay the shipping. I think its junk. The way the drain plug is installed is garbage.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I have one of the E bay pans I will give someone if they will pay the shipping. I think its junk. The way the drain plug is installed is garbage.
I'll pay shipping. I'd like to take a look at these ebay pans.
Email me with your pay pal, shipping to 48180 and I'll send you my mailing address.

oilpumps[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello

On the rod bolt clearance thing. SPS sells great racing hardware and they offer a first rate rod nut for 3/8 bolts that is flanged and has a 7/16 hex instead of the 9/16. It sometimes solves the interference issue.

I think MR. Gasket may offer these, but Im not sure.

If you are building one of these with interference issues, sometimes if you discuss the situation with the person who will balance it, it may me possible to remove material in the counterweight and redistribute it to other locations to allow additional clearance. Just dont wack up a counterweight before investigating. A lot of shops may not want to try this, but some will. It may cost some more to balance it but if you can get the front sump to fit it may be worth it?

Good Luck

Jeff

1 - 20 of 71 Posts