Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Ebay for the past few years for parts for my 68 Caprice and my 66 Nova and have noticed a trend lately of parts "not available to Canada". Not knowing why, the simple answer would be that there is a bias toward keeping these items in the US but I would like to think that it is something other than that. Not living in the States I have no idea of how difficult it is to ship into Canada so perhaps that is the reason for this trend. Any ideas?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, i can't understand it either... the shipping paperwork (customs) really isn't that big of deal... i don't think so anyways. i've shipped a few items in the past to some SNS members. always tried to downplay the cost of the parts on the paperwork in hopes of saving my friends a few bucks.

if i were to ship anywhere out of the continental US, my Northern Brethren would be my first choice on locations...

i hope you find better luck... there is a contact for ChevyII parts in Canada... his name is Menno. a real cool guy who's helped many many ChevyII/Nova owners with parts. he's not into other models though... if you think you'd like to contact him we can assist you with his phone number/email addy ;)

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I sell alot on ebay...and to be honest....international shipping is a pain in the arse(the whole world)....too many forms to fill out:yes:way easier to ship to usa.....always a buyer.....easy in... easy out of fedex......sorry but thats how I do business on ebay

·
Registered
645 Posts
International shipping is no big deal, 5 more minutes of your time and two fast forms in addition to regular USA shipping. Just depends if you want to invest 5 minutes and your willingness to complete a simple piece of paper. It costs a little more but as a seller you should be able to calculate that prior to the initial sell.

·
13,694 Posts
I sell alot on ebay...and to be honest....international shipping is a pain in the arse(the whole world)....too many forms to fill out:yes:way easier to ship to usa.....always a buyer.....easy in... easy out of fedex......sorry but thats how I do business on ebay
Well, you're probably missing the boat on some sales by not developing a Canadian clientel. The Canadian dollar is worth more than the U.S., so it's a good deal for Canadians to buy south of the border. Two weekends ago here in Abbotsford, the lineups of Canadians was 2 miles long waiting to get through the border to spend in the U.S. How much does it cost to do a few minutes of paperwork?

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Ebay makes it difficult, especially if the seller wants to simplify things with "free shipping" a 6$ package in the US now becomes a $45 package to Canada or any other country. Can't do the free shipping then....

Anyway I ship all over the world, weather it's Canada or Australia or Russia Flat Rate is Flat Rate. All the same.

But, most freight companies will not cross border that makes going to Canada with large parts difficult.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Well, you're probably missing the boat on some sales by not developing a Canadian clientel. The Canadian dollar is worth more than the U.S., so it's a good deal for Canadians to buy south of the border. Two weekends ago here in Abbotsford, the lineups of Canadians was 2 miles long waiting to get through the border to spend in the U.S. How much does it cost to do a few minutes of paperwork?

Bob
sorry bob.....time is money......just my way of doing things...never had a problem selling my stuff:no:Ive been screwed more then once shipping international....weather it be stuff not showing up and having to refund money and loosing my merchandise or me having to pay the duties cause I checked the wrong box...(no one willing to explain the forms)so :no:I stick to the good ole usa....I do live in america....land of the free:D

·
6,402 Posts
If the ebay seller doesn't include shipping to Canada as an option, I contact the seller to see if it's possible. Many times the answer is yes. We sometimes get forgotten as a market for sales. The odd person does reply no and I watch the auction anyway to see what it sells for. Lots of times I would put a higher offer and could have been the highest bidder. If it's something I really want and the seller doesn't sell to Canada, I will buy it anyway and have it delivered to my brother in Florida. He will resend to me as a gift or bring it back myself next time I'm down for a visit. I do have to put his address as the shipping address before bidding so that I'm not excluded for being a Canadian bidder.

·
13,694 Posts
sorry bob.....time is money......just my way of doing things...never had a problem selling my stuff:no:Ive been screwed more then once shipping international....weather it be stuff not showing up and having to refund money and loosing my merchandise or me having to pay the duties cause I checked the wrong box...(no one willing to explain the forms)so :no:I stick to the good ole usa....I do live in america....land of the free:D
Millions of Canadians live within a short distance of U.S. border crossings and have shipping/receivers just across the line where they pickup their U.S. goods. Canadian Border Services frequently charge no tax or duties when we bring stuff across. It might be worthwhile targeting this Canadian market with some promotion.

Bob

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Millions of Canadians live within a short distance of U.S. border crossings and have shipping/receivers just across the line where they pickup their U.S. goods. Canadian Border Services frequently charge no tax or duties when we bring stuff across. It might be worthwhile targeting this Canadian market with some promotion.

Bob
you got me all wrong....Im not talking canada specifically....im talking international shipping....not worth the headache to me:no:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I've had many many ebayers ship to me using USPS and they say it's simple. Nice part is, the duties are often not charged by the post office. I've received lots of parts at the post office and all I do is present the card for parcel pickup, they hand it to me and off we go. No signature, nothing. As others have stated, I've see numerous items on ebay that I wanted to buy, would have paid more and the seller refused.

I had one vendor who even refused to take my money and ship to my friend in Billings Montana. Simple little 6" cube of a box for some gauges, wouldn't take US money in payment to ship to a US address because I'm a Canadian. Best part is, about a month later I bought the identical item from a member here for about 1/2 the price! I was glad the guy was so firm in refusing to deal with me.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I ship USPS to my Brothas' in the GREAT WHITE NORTH :canada:
no worries :no:

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
One of the many reasons I don't even look at ebay. Some of the "big" vendors won't ship to Canada. I suspect it is the broker fees charged by UPS or Fedex. What bugs me is if you are CDN and have a US address, some vendors STILL won't sell to you.

Not worth raising my blood pressure, so don't even look. Will find it somewhere else, often cheaper.

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
you got me all wrong....Im not talking canada specifically....im talking international shipping....not worth the headache to me:no:
Hey Batman............. Bob Is not talking international shipping either.... Washington is still in the good ol' US of A, correct!! You get your money, you ship to the lower 48 but you choose not to sell to Canadians????? That is the issue. I too call US ebayers to say I have a US ship to address when their auction says.."does not sell to Canada" !!!. none have ever had an issue to that scenario??

That should read "Does not ship to Canada" Anyway, there are several other sellers more than willing to take our $$$$

Thank goodness we can still get parts from Year One, OPG and the other big boys........... no problems for them??

Anyway, considering your economy and the state of the US currency.... buying cars is like stealing them right now!! Good deals to be had for all Canadians. I can remember when the shoe was on the other foot.

Not to digress too far but............ what exactly is "free" down there these days??

Good luck with your sales. Ric

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
US Mail flat rate packages are ok. You still have forms to file out.

Venders who use UPS, they have big fee's.
UPS has a Entry Preparation Charge (and it's not cheep)
Also have additional permit fee's.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html#Entry+Preparation+Charges

Also depending on the size of the package shipped buy anyone, requires a custom form.

Also the vendor has no protection if package is lost or refused.

Canada shipping from USA in the last few years is a PITA!~

FYI
Al

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Not all vendors agree with you Al, it's not fair to make a blanket statement like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
US Mail flat rate packages are ok. You still have forms to file out.

Venders who use UPS, they have big fee's.
UPS has a Entry Preparation Charge (and it's not cheep)
Also have additional permit fee's.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html#Entry+Preparation+Charges

Also depending on the size of the package shipped buy anyone, requires a custom form.

Also the vendor has no protection if package is lost or refused.

Canada shipping from USA in the last few years is a PITA!~

FYI
Al
This is what I was getting at. when I buy anything from the States it is usually shipped to me freight paid either by USPS or UPS. In either case I am responsible for customs duty and /or clearance preparation. From what you are saying you aso have to pay these fees? your link doesn't clarify that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts