Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got everything taken care of on the firewall and am starting to work on the frame. I will be painting the frame the same color as the body of the car and need it degreased as good as possible so I've decided to go with easy off oven cleaner since simple green was not working. Is this stuff safe for the frame? I got 2 cans of the blue stuff which is the fume free cleaner. Any opinions on if this will work or not?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I used oven cleaner along with a putty scraper to clean the oil film/sludge off of my transmission tunnel before painting the underside of my car.

As long as the surface will be treated, prepped, and/or refinished after cleaning, I see no reason not to use it on the frame.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Easy Off

Yeah and you can clean that up with some baking soda and water after you are done. That will reomove the acid in the mix.
Then use some "Pre" or prep product like that to clean it up before painting it. Thats how I am doing on my Lil Wagon and will shoot some Eastwood chassis black on it after that!:yes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have used it ALOT. Scrape off the big chunks and soak it good. Wear a dust mask, you dont want to inhale that stuff. I tried the blue, wasnt cutting the mustard so I went back to the yellow can. And I thought it was a heavy alkali, not an acid. Water and soap cleans it off just fine. JR

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
I've got a painters mask that I can use. Just need to pick up some latex gloves.
Please don't use true latex gloves for this chore with potassium hydroxide (an assumption on my part). I can provide you with appropriate glove choices tomorrow.

Please send me the oven cleaner ingredients (if possible) or whatever other info. you can find on the oven cleaner can.

Be well,
Tim

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Somehow I knew certainly that YOU would have PLENTY of information on rubber gloves & latex products in general....
:devil::yes::D:D:yes::devil:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please don't use true latex gloves for this chore with potassium hydroxide (an assumption on my part). I can provide you with appropriate glove choices tomorrow.

Please send me the oven cleaner ingredients (if possible) or whatever other info. you can find on the oven cleaner can.

Be well,
Tim
Thanks Tim, this is all that I could find on the can;

Contains monoethanolamine and diethylene glycol n-butyl ether

·
Registered
126 Posts
A heat gun & putty knife takes it off without the mess, wire wheel then simple green. I've had pretty good luck, use plastic sheeting under the area for a fast cleanup.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts