Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am redoing a Nova, it is blasted and ready to finish. I purchased a case of each of the following paint in cans from Eastwood.

Rust encapsulator
( black)

Under hood black

Chassis black

and 1 can of Seam sealer.

I have been told to put the rust encapsulator over the bare metal and then the Chassis black over that. I was going to use this on the subframe, firewall the underneath of the car.
I then thought I may just use it on the subframe and use the under hood black on the bottom of the car and firewall.
What have other people done. I was told to put the underhood black right over bare metal, is this correct? I have been told to put the seam sealer over primer, not on bare metal. I have been told not to put chassis black over etch primer. As you see I have been told alot of things to do but would like to know what has worked for others before I get myself in trouble.
I am leaning towards blast, prepsol, etch primer, underhood black for bottom of car and the firewall, seam sealer over primer then under hood black over that. What do you think? Then blast ,prepsol, black rust encapsulator, chassis black on subframe. Does anyone know the correct way these items go on and work? I have talked with three different people at Eastwood and all three have told me slightly different ways they should be applied, but none had actually used them on a project of their own. Please HELP!!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator is garbage in my eyes. It does not compare to POR15. It paints on like maple syrup and leaves a ton of brush strokes in it's path.

Use POR15, it's 100% better, and looks a lot nicer even left alone without topcoat. But you have to topcoat it if it will see the sun at all. Follow the instructions that are on the can with the Marine Clean and Metal Ready process.

I know this because I used Eastwood's product on my engine compartment. I wheeled it down to bare metal, used their 2-part rust converter, then overcoated with the Rust Encapsulator. Finally, I painted it over with Rustoleum's Semi-flat black. Three years later...even after being stored in the garage, it rusted through!!! :eek:

So last month I blasted it all off the inside and front of the engine bay, and reworked it all with the POR15 process. I then top-coated with Eastwood's Underhood black. It looks 1000 times better. Only sad part is I used a sponge brush as it states on the POR15 can to avoid brush streaks... and it has about a million tiny bumps in it. :mad:

I did two coats of POR15 so it's definately sealed.

I hope that helps. Eastwoods paints are good, but not the Encapsulator... and you DON'T want to blast it off like I had to. That was HELL!!

DW

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I was told not to use the chassis black over etch primer so That will not happen. What I was hoping for is someone that sprayed on the rust encapsulator and then chassis black as top coat and how it has held up.
Also has anyone used etch primer and then used the under hood black as the top coat and how that held up or just under hood black over the bare metal. I am doing some test panels today to see how they react, but it is the longevity of the finished product I am trying to research.
There are a couple spots that I used a skim coat of the metal to metal filler
on a weld line and I would be interested in what is the correct way to finish that off and get it ready for prime and paint.
I am allergic to epoxy so epoxy primers are out.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've used a lot of Eastwood stuff and I've had good luck with it. I painted my entire engine compartment with the under hood black. I did blast and prime it first. I like the color and it's holding up quiet well. I've also the rust encapsulator many times. As far as under the car, I did use the chassis black from Eastwood. This was 12 about twelve years ago and they only offered what they now call the original chassis black. I sand blasted the underside and painted it with this stuff but I did not used any primer. I just put several coats of this stuff on it. It's still holding up real well. Yeah, I know I probably should have used some primer first but the paint stuck to the bare metal really well and it's been very chip resistant. I can see no surface rust anywhere. Now when I get that 55 Chevy that I'm looking for I will use the encapsulator before painting or I may use some POR-15 products.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for. What primer did you use under the under hood black.. Was it etch primer? Did you use their seam sealer? if so what did you use on the metal before appling it. I am going to use etch primer under the seam sealer and under hood black if that is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've never used their seam sealer. I used 3M for that. I doubt I used a self etch primer under the under hood black but it would probably be better if you did. I haven't had any problems with it peeling off though. I have also used their undercoating and it was really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts