Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the easiest way to get them on a 71 nova with a sbc and power steering.

I am guessing through the bottom but I don't have a lift at home so that's kind of impossible :mad:

suggestions?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Jack the car waaayyy up in the air (use jack stands).

Driver side: Drop from the top and slide in.

Passenger side: Come in from the bottom and slide around the a-arms and firewall.

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack the car waaayyy up in the air (use jack stands).

Driver side: Drop from the top and slide in.

Passenger side: Come in from the bottom and slide around the a-arms and firewall.

Kev
I tied to come in from the top on the driver side but the collectors are giving me trouble because there hitting the p/s.

and i don't have a jack :( or jack stands. I have some pos drive on stands:mad:

I might pull the hood off and then try to do it that way.
if not i have to spend more money :(

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
and i'm assuming you can't get it up on the ramps because the old exhaust is already out...you could roll it up the ramp if your driveway slopes down...

hood off is a good idea. that will give you more angle from up top. take the oil filter off. that will give you more room by the block. still column shifted? that can get in the way. you may have to remove your power steering lines and pump. i think i went through this when i first put headers on but it's been a few years and a few :beer: ago. my driver side goes in easiest from underneath and passenger from up top, but i don't have any heater stuff anymore either...

invest in a jack and jackstands. trust me. you'll need them eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i'm assuming you can't get it up on the ramps because the old exhaust is already out...you could roll it up the ramp if your driveway slopes down...

hood off is a good idea. that will give you more angle from up top. take the oil filter off. that will give you more room by the block. still column shifted? that can get in the way. you may have to remove your power steering lines and pump. i think i went through this when i first put headers on but it's been a few years and a few :beer: ago. my driver side goes in easiest from underneath and passenger from up top, but i don't have any heater stuff anymore either...

invest in a jack and jackstands. trust me. you'll need them eventually.
oh its up on the ramps :D but I am just wondering if i am going to be able to get it any higher with a floor jack then with those drive on stands... safely at least.....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
You'll gain at least a foot over the ramps using a jack and stands. GET A JACK. You're driving a 35 year old car, you'll be under it plenty.

Kev

·
Registered
50 Posts
a good jack and some jack stand will do the job. i had to put the pass side on from the top and the driver side in frome the bottom, i even ended up having to undo the motor mount on the driver side and lift the engine up just a bit. i would deff inest in a jack and jack stands, and get ready for possibly installing and removing the driver side header a few times, had to do that to mine cuz i was having clearance issues with the steering box. i ended up having to instal and remove the header a half dozen time to clearence the header to fit correctly. get a jack and jack stands, it will defenetly make your life alot easier. the ramps are good for oil changes and thats about it lol.
good luck with the install

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Bolts right in...just like headers!

Whats the easiest way to get them on a 71 nova with a sbc and power steering?
Actually, I don't associate the word "easy" with header installation. There's difficult, more difficult and " *&%#!!!!".
Most headers are "puzzle fit". They have to go in at a certain angle, twist and turn just the right way. Some times you have to remove a lot of stuff you'd rather not remove and jack the engine up.
Mostly, like Kev says, getting the car high enough is critical. Get heavy, tall jack stands and a floor jack or pay someone to use a hoist.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have installed several sets of long tube headers. I always install them from the bottom. This is on my 69, with a small block in it. I'm running a big block in it currently, had to lift engine up on drivers side to get in.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
maybe try a rental place and get a floor jack and jack stands for a day..

or maybe look for a close by member that could help out..

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Not sure about you, but I had to disconnect the trans linkage near the frame to get mine on. That little bracket piece gets in the way a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a days worth of work there both on. :yes: passenger slid in fine but driver side I had to drain the oil pull the filter pull the trans linkage and then pull the water temp meter. What a P.I.T.A!:mad:

I also broke my freakin dip stick tube!!! :mad::mad: I was able to walk it out though and replace it in a hour. :eek:

Tomorrow i am going to tinker with the trans linkage and then see if i can't get it back in the garage.

salt air + bare metal = very VERY bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts