Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Way back when . . . . . 1967 . . . . . . I went too "Green Valley Raceway" . . . . . Sunday - Sunday - Sunday , and, I did see 'Kelly Chadwick' race once.
Also , Art Arfones . . . . . and, the "Green Monster" dragster & "Green Monster Jet Car" .
But, My favorite was another Guy Named ; Kay Sissel from Calif, . . . . . . . Kay & Art would run on 'exhibition runs' against each other . The lil' Batam against the Green Monster.

oleyeller . . . . . . . . . . I grew up in Garland - - - a looong time ago . . . . . Thanks for posting the picture. Then, I heard that the old Green Valley Drag Strip is just a 'parking lot' - - now .

After I returned from overseas . . . I was at Camp Pendleton, so . . I went over to Santa Ana and my buddie & I got too spend the day at 'Santa Ana Raceway' & spent th' day watching the races. At that time (1970) - - - who would have thought they would be all gone !
Here in Arizona . . . we would go to Phoenix to watch the drags @ 'SpeedWorld' off of Jomax Road ; all closed down , back in early 2013.

One interesting item about Speed World - - - (about 1994) , I had a very good friend that worked in Bagdad ; and, we both were Flying at that time. Well , I missed my 'one ' chance - - - - my friend (Mike) was an ' EMT ' and would go to the track (Speed World) too ride in the "TRACK AMBULANCE" (on some Friday nights during the racing). So, Mike tells me that he's talked to the owner - - - - says to him - - - - "If you need me to be the EMT on the Ambulance this Friday - - - - it would be much Faster & Better for me - (Mike) , If I could fly down here and land on the 'strip' , then, after the races I could take-off & fly Home " .
So, the owner said YES . . . then, Mike asked if I wanted too go (we flew ALOT together - but, never in the same plane ……. we'd just follow each other everywhere).
Well, I couldn't go THAT Friday night - - - like how many chances do you get too actually (any time) "land on the track" ; then, after the races , we could take-off & fly Home .

I sure wanted to park both Planes on the 'Line - by the Tree' - and, get that "PICTURE"

oh well, it was "the one & only time" , I missed flying !

anybody want too buy 'a good airplane project ' (u can park it besides u'r Nova project) ………………. (then, my friend , Mike , is gone now).

jim
(true story)
(have I ever told you about my encounter with 'The U.S. Border Patrol' ) . . . . . . . later . . . . .
What’s the story on the airplane?

·
3,292 Posts
Irwindale Raceway...where the 210 and 605 freeways COLLIDE. Actually no 210 at that time, but that's a great shot on about a 147 degree day with smog occluding the mountains that are right there.

Actually posted on SNS many times in the recent past has been the racing at Green Valley Raceway in Texas where the B.T. Nickey Nova and a TON of other Chevy II's battle it out with other cars for what seems like nearly zero prize money. It's so good, and with the site change, I'll post it again:

Please do not miss the interview with Ray Capps, 'The Headhunter', starting at about 16:25

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
What’s the story on the airplane?
1953 Piper " PA - 22 - 135 " "Tri Pacer" . . . 4 seater "N1168C" . go to FAA.gov - N - Number look -up .
Bought in 1984 - I few it about 7 years - - - all over Arizona ; went to Texas (Dallas - Waco areas ) ; Pismo Beach, Ca (Oceano Airport) .
'Stits fabric' - out of time . I thought I'd Be Rich - when I got 'Retired' . . . didn't happen that way .

·
Registered
260 Posts
so incredibly jealous of you older folks who got to watch these unreal cars in person when they were actually racing instead of cackling or setting in a museum. did you know it was a special time? or did you look past the evolution of these machines and said "just another race car" type of deal?

cannot get enough of these photos...thanks for posting in one spot!

-Rusty

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rusty, in the '60's I'd go to Lions most Saturday nights. At first the attraction was dragsters and gassers. At that time a couple of guys could get together and go fuel racing or a guy with a gas station could have a competitive gasser. Obviously not the situation today. There was easily 50 T/F cars in the LA region and eight legitimate, full-time drag strips.
But, the fun really began about late '65 with the advent and rapid evolution of the funny car. By regularly attending Lions (the Beach) or Irwindale (the 'Dale) it was happening right before your eyes.
A year or two later Lions would have a couple of big funny car races called the East vs the West. You could see the good guys from the South like Don Gay, Platt and Nicholson..... and the best from the East like Shartman, Beswick, Loer, Durham and Seaton. Many of the cold weather teams would winter in SoCal where racing was less seasonal. This made for some great Saturday night shows.
This was a time when a Chevy was Chevy powered. Once it took a hemi to be competitive, I and a lot of others, started to find other things to do.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts