Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
12,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body #82 built 5th week of August, 1966. This car may have had the rare hood emblem, but perhaps disappeared when the hood was re-finished. I'd be asking lots of questions about the engine stampings and the window sticker, which the seller says lists bucket seats, console, etc. These items would not appear on the window sticker of a 1967 SS as they were standard equipment. If those wheel covers are factory, they're pretty rare and would appear on the window sticker. The sellers website has a price of $43,000!!

Bob

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Bob, he mentions having the hood emblem that wasn't put back on after it was repainted. He added that info after you commented...He may be watching this thread! ;)

·
12,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, he mentions having the hood emblem that wasn't put back on after it was repainted. He added that info after you commented...He may be watching this thread! ;)
Yes, that info has been added today after I posted the thread. I was pretty sure a car that early would have had the emblem. Too bad they didn't put it back on.

B.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
there was a guy in here that was tracking vin numbers to see when GM stopped installing the hood badge on the 67. i don't think i've ever seen that hood badge for sale any where.

·
3,264 Posts
Looks like a nice car and it is rare. At the $ we're talking about, it would take a Nova savvy person to give it a very close look before coming up with the bid, but if it was as advertised and original, it would be a nice buy. Gotta love those 2L cars, and, save for a tiny handful of cars that year, the top powertrain, so it was ordered right. Even at $43, I don't see it that far off the market for a 2nd generation 4-speed 327 car, especially if it checks out. As a side note, the search for that great stored survivor that might come from a family's bereavement is a little off putting. I have a little experience with that, and it's not good.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
there was a guy in here that was tracking vin numbers to see when GM stopped installing the hood badge on the 67. i don't think i've ever seen that hood badge for sale any where.
It was me tracking them. The emblems show up on ebay occasionally, I bought one from a member several years ago and used it as an ornament on my air cleaner. The highest VIN with the emblem that I can verify is 4803. The highest VIN I've heard of but can't verify is 4965.

·
12,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we determined that based on the number of cars being built at the beginning of the 1967 production year, these emblems may have been discontinued after just a few weeks. Sure would be interesting to know what prompted the almost immediate decision to do away with them.

Bob

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
this is just my idea, but id think the contracted company GM had for that hood trim went bankrupt an no time to find another production company.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
jd...... I bought one from a member several years ago and used it as an ornament on my air cleaner.

now that is a cool idea. i might just keep an eye out for one. but maybe only 5000 of them were ever made.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
here's a picture of a 67 hood badge. i had to look back in my pics to find it an don't know were i copied it from.

·
12,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is just my idea, but id think the contracted company GM had for that hood trim went bankrupt an no time to find another production company.
That's a possibility. My theory is that the final design for 1967 did not include this trim piece, but the decision was made too late for deletion from the first batch of cars produced.

B.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm interested in this car, depending on the selling price of course. Got additional pictures including these 2. POP and transmission stamp. Whats the opinion on this? IMG_0550.JPEG IMG_0871.jpg

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
jd...... I bought one from a member several years ago and used it as an ornament on my air cleaner.

now that is a cool idea. i might just keep an eye out for one. but maybe only 5000 of them were ever made.
I knew I didn't want one on the hood, but when I saw it for sale I couldn't pass it up. So it lives under the hood now!

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's a possibility. My theory is that the final design for 1967 did not include this trim piece, but the decision was made too late for deletion from the first batch of cars produced.

B.
Bob, I just posted on my L-79 Restoration Thread a link to a video that was taken of the unveiling of the my car at the MCACN show in November. Tom Migut does a great talk in the video about "early cars" versus "later cars". My interpretation of his comments is that early cars are being assembled during a "Trial Period" to see what works and what doesn't. Then once they get the bugs worked out, they swing into full production. An example would be the 2 hole SS lower rear quarter trim versus the 3 hole later versions. Possibly this is where the 67 front hood badge got axed.

Another interesting note is that my data base of Cowl Tags indicates 66 cars started production the last week of August yet by the end of October they had only built a couple thousand 2 door hardtop cars. And, half of those were built in the last 2 weeks. I have 2 two door hardtop cars with 3rd week of October build dates and their Sequence numbers are 1099 and 1324. However by the end of October they pumped out car 2613. By the end of November, they pumped out car 44,457. But at the end of December, they were only up to 52,124. Looks like the pumped out a ton of two door hard tops in November and either cut back making 2 door hard tops or cars all together in December 65. However, they went back into heavy production in January and By the end of June 66, they had pumped out a total of at least 143,276 2 door hardtops.

·
3,264 Posts
I don't think that $43000 is an unreasonable price for the car IF:

That is the only rust problem in it.
The documents line up just right, and it is a factory 327/4-speed car.
Added bonus if the engine/trans/rear ID numbers are there and match up.
You'd really have to check the body and floor and around the front and rear windows for rust. If there isn't any and the lower fender is the only spot, then you're in the ballpark. It's a rare car in that color and condition ordered that way. $43K is in the ballpark if it runs well without leaking or smoking, and starts and stops well. If the body is good and the mechanicals are too, I like it. Mid '30's would be a good price for it, but $40 isn't out of line, in my opinion. I've seen some other things not nearly as good or much more modified and buttered up go for that kind of money, so I like the originality of this one better. I don't believe it will be bid as high as mid '30's on eBay, so I suggest you watch, lay out and wait if you are interested. Very cool car. Unrestored '66/'67 SS cars with 283/PG are grabbing $25K; you're better off with the driveline upgrades for the difference in price.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bob or anyone, is there a general belief of which assembly plant built the best cars? Oakland? Norwood? Michigan? Mo?
This car is touted as an "early production". Is that particularly desirable? Example, stamping dies still fresh(?).
Thx, Guys

·
12,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm interested in this car, depending on the selling price of course. Got additional pictures including these 2. POP and transmission stamp. Whats the opinion on this?
The POP and tranny stamp appear good to me. The tranny stamp is one day different than the POP (it's upper left under the engine code), but not a problem. Tranny is R-Saginaw, 7-1967, M-August, 26th day in August. The POP looks good with correct color and interior codes, engine suffix, VIN and rear end code.

I'd be asking for close up, readable pictures of the window sticker, sales order, invoice and whatever other original paperwork exists. JMO, but this appears to be a legitimate early production '67 SS.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts